Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

My towns school lunch menu

Last post 02-15-2012 7:50 PM by tracyinmn. 41 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (42 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2012 7:44 PM

My towns school lunch menu

One of my cahildcare kids left their school lunch menu at my house. Thought it would be interesing to post on edays menu. Does it look anything like what your local schools serve for lunch.

Tomorrow menu. There are 5 choices each day. Looks good to me. Cost is  dont see it for lunch

Cheese pizza with shole wheat crust and low fat cheese, garden salad, rasins, milk

Tuna boat with two sides, milk

PB & J, milk

Garden Chef Salad with whole wheat roll, milk

Fruit and yogurt parfait

Breakfast is scrambled eggs, whole wheat toast, fruit or juice and milk $1.25 cost

Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
    Filed under:
  • 02-02-2012 8:14 PM In reply to

Re: My towns school lunch menu

Wow, all those choices!  When I was in grade school, back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, we had two choices in the school cafeteria - take it or leave it.  I lived close enough to go home for lunch and sometimes I would, but the truth was, I LOVED the school lunches and still have many fond memories of what they fixed.  They were all served with either chocolate or white milk and cost .35.  Those were the days!  Liz

• 02-02-2012 9:02 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I hope the food for the middle schools and high schools are more filling.

As a teen, I would pack my lunch and have two sandwhiches, a bag of chips or crackers, a candy bar/brownie/snack cake/pickle and a drink. Some days I had stew, gumbo or something else homemade and the side and snack with a drink. By 2 pm, I was hungry again.

When I got home I was rooting for my pre-dinner which was often a frozen pizza, a bowl of stew or beans and rice, chicken nuggets or any other leftovers Mom may not need or notice gone.

My mother wanted to know where I put it. I weighed right under a hundred pounds.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 02-02-2012 9:07 PM In reply to

TizzyLizzy:

Wow, all those choices!  When I was in grade school, back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, we had two choices in the school cafeteria - take it or leave it.  I lived close enough to go home for lunch and sometimes I would, but the truth was, I LOVED the school lunches and still have many fond memories of what they fixed.  They were all served with either chocolate or white milk and cost .35.  Those were the days!  Liz

Tizzy your under fifty then I remember milk only costing me ten cents at the time now Im fricking old and this is bad..

Babs the lunch wish those were on the menu when I was younger then I wouldn't have to deal with a bad weight issue then and the foods sound totally good.

• 02-02-2012 9:16 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

TizzyLizzy:
    we had two choices in the school cafeteria - take it or leave it

I had the same choices. Except for certain dishes, I hated the school food and brought my own.

My mom has told me that before I began school, I had a healthy apetite and ate a variety of foods. After beginning, I started picking at food and refusing to eat many things I once loved, even at home. I lost weight and became a thin child and picky eater. My apetite rebounded in my teens and my tastes expanded again.

• 02-02-2012 9:28 PM In reply to

The kids also get a healthy snack in the middle of the morning. It can be crackers and cheese, fruit, raw veggies. They are big on healthy foods and local foods. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 02-02-2012 9:54 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

This is so much healthier than what our schools offer.  If GD had choices like this available, she could eat a school lunch (the current one makes her too sick).  She brings home the menu each month and I have never seen salad offered.  They are still pushing processed breaded items, straight from the freezer to the microwave to the tray.

Would also be easier for me.  These kids are lucky to have whole foods available to them.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 02-02-2012 10:40 PM In reply to

Ha, Cindy, the .35 was for the whole lunch, not just the milk - the milk by itself was a dime, you're right.  And nope, I'm not under 50, bless yer lil heart!  Liz.

• 02-02-2012 10:50 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

TizzyLizzy:
    we had two choices in the school cafeteria - take it or leave it.

Wish I had gone to your school!  We had two choices too, take it & eat it, or else.  You made me remember when I was in either first or second grade when I got in trouble.  Instead of eating my peas, I loaded them on a spoon, lowered the spoon until it was under the table and tried to fling them to the other end of the table.  Mrs. Castle, the principle, caught me!  Yikes!  Only time I ever had to go to her office.  At least she didn't call momma!

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 02-03-2012 9:00 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

grame:
    This is so much healthier than what our schools offer.

It is a healthy selection. It just seemed very light eating to me. If there is snack time then it's not bad. I don't remember really having one in school and have no idea if the schools here offer them.

Page 1 of 5 (42 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us