Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Dollar Store Focal Pieces

Last post Thu, May 8 2014 7:48 PM by celine. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:42 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Dollar Store Focal Pieces

I am sure many of us have a few decorative pieces from dollar stores to lift a room's look. Have you ever used dollar store finds as focal piece or really done up a room like a dollar store showcase?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jan 25 2012 11:42 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: Dollar Store Focal Pieces

When I did the guestroom, Have Victorian furniture so went with what I would imagine a Victorian lady of the night would have picked.  Got velvet gold bedspread and drapes at Family Dollar and gawdy lamps and deep maroon tassled throw pillows at the same place.  Va-va-voom!

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 3:01 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

I love the baskets, trays and place mats that you find at the dollar stores. 

I used photo frames from the dollar store to fill an empty space in the living room with family photos. It really made a difference.

Changing place mats on the kitchen table is a cheap way to change the style or atmosphere in the kitchen, changing the colours of napkins, candles and flowers at the same time, according to the mood or season. Little candle holders from the dollar store are used on the kitchen table too. 

The baskets from the dollar store are used for many things according to size and shape. When I was gardening on the balcony, I put smaller flower pots in dollar store baskets. In the house, I use bigger baskets for books and magazines. In the holidays, when I want to pamper myself, I put chocolates etc in a basked on the bedside table. And when I have guests who will sleep over, I prepare a basket with toiletries, towels etc for them to feel welcome and at home. As I have no shelves in the smaller bathroom, I use a basket at the door for all the necessities.

The trays are used daily, for quick breakfasts from the refrigerator  (everything being prepared the night before), for breakfast in bed, or on the veranda.I use to put trays with small necessities in the guest room: glasses, clean bottled water, some candies, fruit and packaged cookies, paper napkins, baby wipes and the like. 

These are small items, but they add comfort to any room for a small price.

• Sat, Jan 28 2012 8:41 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

grame:
    Have Victorian furniture so went with what I would imagine a Victorian lady of the night would have picked. 

The rooms sounds gorgeous and decadent. I love that but I am not sure I could do such things with my house.

• Sat, Jan 28 2012 8:48 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

I have seen a room done entirely with Dollar Tree decorations. At first glance, I thought the room was really nice and looking closer, realised I knew where the pieces came from.

I would never have thought to use some of the things the way the woman who lived there did. She did alot with planters, the fake flowers and strings, little frames and statues.

• Thu, May 8 2014 7:48 PM In reply to

• celine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 29 2012
    • Posts 8

I have this special motif that combines all when it comes to furnishings, decoration and house interior and exteriors in general. Like the use of Victorian furnishings like every boday else, I am in love with this unique pieces including the latest Victorian doors I got hey looks even more coller and perfect having good living in a place where everything is organize and order.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us