Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Top Meatless Meals?

Last post Sat, Jan 7 2012 5:30 AM by BargainBinge. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 1 2012 8:29 AM

Top Meatless Meals?

I highly enjoy making meatless meals. This year there will be a lot more focus on meatless meals for various reasons. I wanted to start a new thread where we can discuss our top favorite meatless meals ... ones so tasty even a hungry hunting cave man could sit down and enjoy without complaint, lol! So...

What are your top favorite meatless meals to make and enjoy?

Ps. Cindy, bring those lion slippers.. the cavemen will like them!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Jan 1 2012 9:54 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Top Meatless Meals?

Spaghetti sauce on pasta noodles. I load it with vegetables and herbs.

Vegetable soup; some people add meat but I do not.

These are the only meatless measl I can think of that I make.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Jan 1 2012 10:45 AM In reply to

I plan to get creative this year with dry beans, lentils and peas. There are so many vegetarian and/or vegan dishes I have made in my days but right now the theme is more simple and clean. I love to go all out and jazz things up but my current desire is to simplify some meals and allow those I serve to really appreciate and taste the natural flavors in the whole foods being used. Too many food combinations, too much sauce or seasongs, etc. can really complicate and hinder natural tastes. Bummer. Right now my hot spot is split peas - simple - steamed and smashed with fennel and some olive oil. The best! I will also be working with oats and barley more. Veggie soups and broths, steamed legumes, bean dishes, vegetable bakes without all the sauce and cheese, lentil loaf, non complicated veggie/bean burgers, etc. all sound good right now for top veggie dish favorites.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Jan 1 2012 11:50 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

pasta dishes....like mac and cheese, cheese tortenilli with sauce, pasta primeva, risotto if I have someone else make it.... omelettes etc.

oatmeal, cream of wheat for breakfast.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, Jan 1 2012 2:05 PM In reply to

split pea

lentil

red bean cassarole

minastroni

mac and cheese  ")

chili

chili with rice

potatoe dish with eggs

potatoe cassarole

confedie veggies

chrissanne
  • Sun, Jan 1 2012 2:44 PM In reply to

Lentil Chili--->use veggie broth and skip the ground turkey as well  

Lentil Tacos---> Use veggie broth and lots of minced veggie (peppers/onions) serve w/ sprout 

Addictive Sweet Potatoes burritos--> I use black Beans in place of kidney & small taco size shells.

Sloppy Sams Tacos-->I prefer sloppy sam mix in tortillas eating like tacos over a using a bun

Potato Wontons--> basically mashed potatoes (cold) w/ onions/peppers/cheese/mixed with sour cream rolled into wonton wrappers and baked in the oven..

Veggie Pizza--> spinach/peppers/mushrooms/brocolli/onions/cheese

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Sun, Jan 1 2012 7:38 PM In reply to

Grilled or oven-baked eggplant (or eggplant parmesan)

Spaghetti with veggie sauces (eggplant or zucchini)

Minestrone soup

Lentil soup

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Mon, Jan 2 2012 4:54 PM In reply to

• suzin
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 24 2007
    • Posts 244

We like Bean burgers....I use 1/2 C. cooked beans combined with 1/2 C. cooked brown rice....mash up the beans some but leave them a bit chunky. Mix with the rice...then I put in whatever seasonings I like...like taco, chili, italian, etc...and add a egg and mix well....fry in a lightly oiled skillet till golden on both sides...for the meal I add a vege and maybe a tossed salad and some fruit
    Nebraska
  • Mon, Jan 2 2012 7:20 PM In reply to

Jayas potatoe wontons sound great special with beans and something else in it but thanks for this idea

chrissanne
  • Fri, Jan 6 2012 10:51 PM In reply to

My favorite is so simple. Bean soup and cornbread. I don't even know if the soup is considered a soup or just beans. I just cook up pinto beans in water with an onion and add salt near the end. Serve with cornbread. That was dinner tonight :). I didn't see fried rice here, so I'll mention it. I'm definitely going to try the potato wontons!
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us