Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

2012 Gifts from the craft/ sewing stash - what are you planning?

Last post Tue, Nov 27 2012 8:57 AM by jayashiangel. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 28 2011 10:27 AM

2012 Gifts from the craft/ sewing stash - what are you planning?

I know, I know...we've barely got over Christmas 2011 and I'm already jumping ahead to 2012!

2011 has been a rough year financially, forcing me to consider more homemade gifts than I have in the past.  It worked well for my family this year, so I am planning to make as many gifts as I can in 2012 - the first family birthday is in February so I need to start working on that plan now.

Here are a few ideas:

1. Jewelry for the girls and ladies on the list
    2. Beaded bookmarks for my mom and sister who have not yet embraced e-readers (Mothers Day)
    3. Satin pillowcases, maybe monogrammed if it's not too expensive
    4. Fabric roads for toy cars for youngest nephew  http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2011/11/make-fabric-roads-for-toy-cars/
    5. Faux leather initial key rings (cut out 2 initials, cut a strip of faux leather to make loop for split ring, sandwich loop between the 2 letters, top stitch all around and you're done) - for Fathers' Day

I don't make food gifts - when it comes to cooking and baking, I am the queen of inconsistent results!

Is anyone else thinking about homemade gifts yet?

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Wed, Dec 28 2011 11:46 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: 2012 Gifts from the craft/ sewing stash - what are you planning?

I am not thinking about doing gifts yet lol   just need to start using my craft supplies more after I do a cleanup around this house.

have you thought of doing basic monogramming on the sewing machine or embroider them on ?

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Jan 3 2012 1:32 PM In reply to

Today I went shopping for a piece of plastic to make a makeup bag.  I prefer clear plastic ones...easy to clean, easy to find what I want!  I couldn't find a makeup bag I liked, so I opted to make my own   I paid for a half-yard of the plastic (minimum purchase but still more than I needed). Because it was a slightly damaged roll end, the guy at the store gave me 1.5 yards because he couldn't be bothered to cut off what I wanted.  SCORE!

I'm thinking of making 3-1-1 friendly makeup bags using fabric remnants and zippers on hand, fill them with travel sized toiletries collected year round, and giving them as gifts for the frequent travellers on my list.  I could also make matching fabric luggage tags as well.

I can also make large zippered pouches for wet stuff, for DD13 and her swim team mates.  Oh...the possibilites! LOL!

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 7:56 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

There are lots of cool makeup or travel bags patterns out there too.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 9:56 PM In reply to

• AuntieGramma
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 22 2012
    • Foothills of the Beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains
    • Posts 8

I have a long list of gifts for the year!

My sister made us all (15 of us that will be together at Christmas) new Christmas stockings -- they are all made from the same pattern, but each has a print that fits the particular person. 

I am working on finishing some quilting projects, and each person will receive a quilted gift at Christmas. 

For my siblings, (4 of us), I'm making a scrap/photo album of all of the letters our grandfather sent home to our grandmother during WWII, before they were married... I've been gathering photos from that time frame from the family stash, including many Navy pics...  My goal is to get these finished for the last siblings b-day at end of July, and we will all receive them at the same time.

My 16 (almost 17) year old son has a few guitars, so I'm making him a wall-mount rack for them.  I'm hoping to knock that out by his b-day at the end of April...and it will be made from materials we have on hand.

My sister and I have been making candles all year, and plan to give some out as gifts, as well. 

My cousin is trying to accumulate table runners for each season & each holiday, so I'm going to try to get a set made for her...making them 2-sided.  I made her a very simple one for Christmas last year & she loved it.  I'd like to make a variety of styles & patterns...we'll see how this one goes.

I look forward to reading about what everyone else plans!

• Wed, Mar 28 2012 10:23 PM In reply to

Several of my coworkers are retiring.  One is getting a quilted wall-hanging in the school colors (gold and black) with the school mascot, an eagle, embroidered on it.  The other two are getting afghans - one is half finished, the other hasn't been started yet.
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 10:53 PM In reply to

karen teacher thats pretty wish my dad got that when he retired as a teacher at the collage he taught at green river we did a lizard on a card for him once around in washington that was agood collage at one time back in the nineties they had a gator on cards for teacher but we thought alizrd on it was funny he got that and a presant of candy bars students use to bribe him during mid term testing time the stories they had they wrote it all down on the lizard cards well thats what he got still has it in his old brief case...

chrissanne
  • Tue, Apr 3 2012 5:46 PM In reply to

I'm so glad to see that some of you are quilters. I'm trying to learn and maybe by Christmas I'll be able to make some small, useful items like pot holders and shopping bags. Smile

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Wed, Apr 4 2012 5:38 AM In reply to

Hey guys, I guess this would be correct forum for my question. Wanna gift my father on his 60th birtday, I am really confused what should I purchase. Please guys help me.

• Wed, Apr 4 2012 9:15 PM In reply to

Played clean up the yarn mess I knew I had lots of yarn but NO IDEA HOW MUCH until today went to Walmart and found some moving style boxes cheap 88 cents per box.. Planning to use up what I have before buying anymore items..Planning to start make scrap yarn scarves to donat with box of scrap yarn..

3 boxes (16x16x24) of acrylic yarn-worsted weight

1 boxes (16x16x24) of Baby Yarn

1 boxes (16x16x24) of cotton half full

1 boxes (16x16x24) of scrap mini balls of acrylic yarn-worsted weight

1 boxes (16x16x24)  completed projects of baby hats and adult hats

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us