Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Canned Biscuits - how long will they keep?

Last post Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:43 AM by Loveday. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 21 2011 8:52 AM

Canned Biscuits - how long will they keep?

This is my most trusted source. I have searched the net high and dry for answers to my question but haven't had much luck because I have seen various answers and some contain silly or wise crack remarks that make me question who is being serious on places like yahoo answers and so on. I even checked still tasty's website. My question is this, how long will refridgerated Grand's flaky biscuits last in the fridge past their expiration/sell date? I have 3 cans with 8 biscuits per can and don't want to waste them. I am going in for surgery today, very soon here actually, and won't be able to cook or consume them. What should I do? leave them in the fridge? take them out of their container and put in freezer bags? I want to preserve the dough without having to cook them as they taste best fresh cooked not cooked and then frozen and then reheated. I would prefer to fridge them as long as possible due the date to use by is Dec 22nd which is today. Please help? Thanks.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Dec 21 2011 9:08 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: Canned Biscuits - how long will they keep?

BB, I have kept them at least a month past the date.  They would probably keep longer. I think if kept a lot longer they dont rise as much. If they get bad, the cans will swell up and pop. Normally, that only happens if they get too warm.  I would just keep them if past a month, then consider baking but not till they are brown and freeze. Then you could reheat them. My Dad loved these biscuits. Now, if I buy some, I get the frozen ones in the bag. I can pull out two or three so no waste. They are yummy too. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Dec 21 2011 9:29 AM In reply to

• hjdeth
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 22 2011
    • Atlanta, GA
    • Posts 72

Not only are they fine 2-3 weeks after the date on the can, you can throw the whole can in the freezer.  I have used frozen ones 6 months after freezing and while they don't rise quite as big, they are still tasty good.  If you freeze them, let them thaw in the fridge overnight and they are ready to use!

• Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:00 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

lol I had pillsbury crescent ones in the fridge that I used monday that were a month or so after the exp date. they were fine. have one left. I haven't frozen them but as long as they don't smell funny or leak etc they are fine. I notice they stick to the tin more but that is about it. my question I have pillsbury pie crust in the freezer that exp 2009 think it is still good?
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:47 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I know this from personal experience Canned bicuits?  As long as they haven't exploded...use them!  In my younger day (ie., young, always broke and a single mom working and going to school) I even used one can that had already exploded and we are still alive to tell the story.

Martha, if the pie shell was one you made and then froze, I think I would pitch it.  If it was one manufactured and bought, it contains preservatives so thaw and sniff.  It may be ok.  By the way, if it was store bought I want you to run over to my house and I'll show you how to make one super fast and at a fraction of the cost.  It always turns out great.  OK?

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:53 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/18753

This is what I found on StillTasty.com.  Freezing might be your best option for now.  The site says it is good for 2-3 months past the date.  You should be able to use the biscuits by that time ....  ??  Oh, and I would leave them in the unopened packaging and write the date you put them in the freezer.  Then you can track how long they are in the freezer.

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:57 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

MarthaMFI:
    I have pillsbury pie crust in the freezer that exp 2009 think it is still good?

If it isn't freezer burnt it probably is still edible.  I think foods lose their taste and quality if it sits in the freezer too long.

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Wed, Dec 21 2011 5:07 PM In reply to

I had no idea you could freeze cans of biscuits!
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Wed, Dec 21 2011 6:43 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I think my freezer over the fridge gets to be a black hole lol.   I rarely use pastry dough.  it is pillsbury pie crust not in the shell.   no one eats pie  or quiche really except me so that is why things don't get used much.  plus I get pies cheap from the store so much too.  got a big pumpkin pie half price 2.50 today for example.

was thinking of spreading br sugar, butter and cinnamon on it and roll it up and cut and bake as pinwheels.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Dec 21 2011 8:13 PM In reply to

hjdeth:

Not only are they fine 2-3 weeks after the date on the can, you can throw the whole can in the freezer.  I have used frozen ones 6 months after freezing and while they don't rise quite as big, they are still tasty good.  If you freeze them, let them thaw in the fridge overnight and they are ready to use!

Are you new in this zoo welcome if you are...

B,.b if its sealed right not open  months

chrissanne
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us