Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

My kid is asking for some unreasonable Christmas gifts

Last post Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:51 PM by Brandy. 83 replies.
Page 6 of 9 (84 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 16 2011 6:16 PM In reply to

Re: My kid is asking for some unreasonable Christmas gifts

At 19, I would not have had the gall to ask for that sort of thing for a gift, especially if I had been working and living on my own and had a sense of how much things cost in the real world.  My brother, who isn't far from 19 himself, also would not ask my parents to shell out that much on one gift for himself.  We weren't perfect kids by any means, and we had our own cluelessness about money (and still do to some degree), but there were limits.

I had forgotten that a GPS was part of his list.  And yeah, that by itself wasn't an unreasonable request.  Nor would, "I'd like to upgrade my computer into a gaming computer, so a gift card to put towards an extra fan and a better video card (or even those components themselves) would be great."

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Fri, Dec 16 2011 9:47 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Michelle honey I know what you mean this  year kids are nuts ..  our church helps people we have lists form Children  I Pod  and lap top  it insane

Went to Walmart today  and got the clothes and toys for one family I got what they needed and the food for the holdiay meal I  didnt get any high tech thing but got them a ggod Christmas .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Fri, Dec 16 2011 10:12 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

You have good insights Ana,   there is a background history with cinnamons son too that you aren't aware of not being on the forums for a few years like some of us lol.  She has had this type of issues before with girls who are the greatest and wants.   They have been struggling for a few years now. 

Cinnamon I had a thought at work...give him your own wish list...day the spa, new dishwasher ..you get the idea lol 

I think it is nice to get fun things for xmas too. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Dec 17 2011 8:54 AM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

It is okay to give fun things for Christmas. You also have to consider what the person you are asking can afford. My kids have been told next year won't be as good as this year. I went over budget this year and spent to much.
  • Sat, Dec 17 2011 9:41 AM In reply to

I realize you are mostly just venting. But when your young adult child wants to invite his girlfriend to Christmas, and you treat her like an imposition, no good  can come from it. My mother treated one of my brother's girfriends this way, and after 25 years of marriage to my brother, the animosity is still there. If I was your son, I would be considering not coming for Christmas at all. A small gift- chocolates, bath set, candles- doesn't matter what, its the welcome that counts.

• Sat, Dec 17 2011 6:56 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Aana:
    For a 19 year old it doesn't surprise me that he asked for those types of things

Surprising that he wants them, no. Asking for them when he knows his parents are struggling financially and then expecting them to figure out how to afford to give him material wants is another thing.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:33 PM In reply to

The kid can get a job and get all that stuff himself.. Come on this young man is self centered and selfish to do this and to add a girlfriend on top of it..

He gets what he gets and if he don't like it tough buttooties or run his butt up a cold flag pole come on the young man needs to grow up well then get his lesson no giifts for him lump of coal untill he gets from sitting on his face all day (sitting on face his own) and learn to go flip more burgers to pay for his own luxery stuff half of the stuff he is asking for I can't afford it my self.

chrissanne
  • Sun, Dec 18 2011 6:39 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 26 2009
    • Posts 2

Cinnamonhuskies:
    So how do i say "are you nuts?!" to him without actually saying that or make it sound like we are dead broke or something. 

Just tell him the truth. It's not a good time with the economy being the way it is to be spending money you don't have.  If he has applied for food stamps, he is now on the government dole and has absolutely no business asking for expensive Christmas gifts.  It's time to grow up and act responsibly.  Food stamps are meant to be a hand-up not a hand-out. Unfortunatley for many families, welfare and food stamps have become a drug of dependency.  

Mike
  • Mon, Dec 19 2011 4:47 AM In reply to

New here and probably not my place to say anything, but could I please ask, have you always gotten your son big presents for Christmas? If so he probably still expects them.

katie
  • Mon, Oct 29 2012 9:24 AM In reply to

• jilasey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 29 2012
    • Posts 2

Now children are expensive and they want plenty of stuff which is related to technology and specially now is the trend of Ipod and lastest Laptops. 

Page 6 of 9 (84 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us