Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

E-readers Vs Real Books

Last post 12-28-2011 11:24 AM by gayla50. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-07-2011 9:06 PM In reply to

Re: E-readers Vs Real Books

At least regular books don't need to be charged up and what happens when the battery is not charged up it goes dead. duhhhh priceless and e books are ok but its a pain in the butt to charge those suckers up or at the airport you hear a buzzer go off its the beeper to the machine saying hey whats this so regular book wins at air ports and over seas maybe in schools e books would be like so good less to carry.

• 12-08-2011 8:08 AM In reply to

cheapChic:
    maybe in schools e books would be like so good less to carry.

There's a school system not too far from where I live that the "book rental fee" actually rents an iPad.  Not every class has their info on it, but most of them do.  They started this year with seniors; next year it will be juniors and seniors.  Parents have mixed feelings on it.  On the one hand, it's less to lug around -- all they need now is a 3 ring binder or multi-subject notebook and the iPad.  On the other hand, if it gets lost or stolen or broken, then the parents have to pay for it.  The schools like it b/c it's easier and cheaper to upgrade textbooks on iPads than actual hardcopies and teachers can upload assignments onto them so there's no discrepency in case some students don't take notes very well on the requirements of the assignment.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 12-08-2011 5:58 PM In reply to

I'm a book fan ...   tho I just got a look at a co-worker's new kindle fire, and I  think it would be a neat toy to use for other things, LOL!

I think there are some experiments going on with using e-books and e-readers for college textbooks ... big problem is underlining...

• 12-08-2011 8:35 PM In reply to

sunshinetreva:

cheapChic:
    maybe in schools e books would be like so good less to carry.

There's a school system not too far from where I live that the "book rental fee" actually rents an iPad.  Not every class has their info on it, but most of them do.  They started this year with seniors; next year it will be juniors and seniors.  Parents have mixed feelings on it.  On the one hand, it's less to lug around -- all they need now is a 3 ring binder or multi-subject notebook and the iPad.  On the other hand, if it gets lost or stolen or broken, then the parents have to pay for it.  The schools like it b/c it's easier and cheaper to upgrade textbooks on iPads than actual hardcopies and teachers can upload assignments onto them so there's no discrepency in case some students don't take notes very well on the requirements of the assignment.

So true they are good at times and cool to use and I do like them if its a book story I like they are good to take to a star buck coffee place...lol just kidding no they are great and its good to have for different things like that to study from too wish I did have one of those in college make the less hauling around and somebooks that are required that I had would have been perfect. Im for these books also old fashion books too.

• 12-09-2011 12:37 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

The concept of an e-reader is intriquing, and tempting. There are so many books available now that can be downloaded on an e-reader, and even older out of print ones like what is available at Project Gutenberg, http://www.gutenberg.org.     The older needlework books available there have instructions and tips that aren't found in newer books, so getting them onto an e-reader is exciting. 

Trying to decide which e-reader is hard. Amazon's Kindle doesn't allow you to save anything, like on an SD card, but the NOOK does. That one feature is what is influencing my decision on what to get. Also the NOOK uses E-Pub formats, which if I understand it, is a more common format for downloading books, whereas the Kindle has it's own format that can only be used by the Kindle, so if you wanted to buy a book from Barnes and Noble, you couldn't load it onto a Kindle, and vice-versa. 

Kindle saves all of your purchases in your Amazon account, but if for some reason you have a dispute with Amazon, they can lock you out of your account and your Kindle is then worthless, unless they let you back in. That is a problem to me. If you purchased a book, you should always have access to it. Which brings up another point: you buy a real book, you always have, and own, that book. What happens, if for some odd reason, Amazon or Barnes & Noble, goes bankrupt, or gets bought out by another company who decides your purchases are no longer valid, or worse yet, your account is lost forever, and the company won't back you up even if you have proof of your purchases? 

Looking at a broader picture, if all books become e-reader books, and no longer physically printed, then a disaster happens which makes access to those e-reader books impossible, what happens to the knowledge contained in those e-reader books? An e-reader is only as good as the ability to access what is saved on a micro-chip, or saved "in the cloud" thru the internet. In a major long-term disaster, (war, severe depression, etc.,) necessary information won't be available thru an e-reader. That's just something to think about.

There is a project going on, since e-readers were brought out, that someone is trying to collect all printed material, to save and protect it against the eventuality that printed material may no longer exist. That will be one gargantuan task, but an important one.

I haven't bought an e-reader, yet, but the idea sure is tempting.

Edey 

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 12-09-2011 11:44 AM In reply to

WE have been looking at the E-reader & Tablets for dd who when out and about is in a wheel chair ( and want to limit extra weight of books and her pc weight as well so we have decided first to wait 3 months until my income tax check will be here plus she will have her school money in and Grandma/Grandpa have agreeded to purchase up to $199 for a NOOK COLOR however after a checking around some over the last few days this is what we have decided.

We plan to get her a Toshiba Thrive Tablet yes it's bigger however it will allow her to do so MUCH more plus it has an e-reader and computer combined we think this is the best option even over the Ipad as well.. we talked w/ a person who worked at Best Buy for ONCE knew what he was talking about (long story there) any way he has a thrive and was able to show us his as well as various other models and all the readers and explain ALL the difference w/ each item that was very help ful :O)As college textbooks are working there way toward Reader style as well and this would be VERY nice for her...plus my child never asked for anything even for B-day or Xmas so to get her a Tablet would just be a nice thing to get her...:O)

Now back to the book question I would love a e-reader however I would have to get a model that had a built in back light as I do most of my reading in a van at work at night which would jacket up my price to around $199 that being said the plus for me would be I could carry 100 books on ereader but hard to carry 100 books in a bag to work.. so for me I would like. I have taking documents or online stories and transfered then to my PALM PILOT and read LOTS of those so I think the E-reader style will be similar to using my palm which I loved :O) to a point as the e-reader has a 7 in screen my palm was like 3-4 so I can see the appeal for 7 in e-reader....

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/

Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 3
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• 12-09-2011 11:54 AM In reply to

I prefer books over e-readers, our library now you can borrow ereaders and you have been able to download ebooks for a long time.  I just download if I want to the lapbook on occasion.  Since I read forums and blogs on the computer I am not against reading on electronic devices. I am not a gadget person but I can see using it if travelling or stuck in a cabin for a week or so.

or when I was a scout event and didn't bring enough books to read lol

the e readers will get so much cheap in the next year or so plus they add features to make them more like ipads.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 12-09-2011 5:37 PM In reply to

I was just reading that there's a new $99 tablet due to come out in the U.S. early next year that runs Android and is creating quite a buzz.  Suspect you'd be able to download an e-reader app on that, if it doesn't come with one....  That might be worth doing ..

• 12-09-2011 8:27 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I prefer real books. I find it easier to hold one and use a bookmark to keep track of where I am. I love the smell and feel of a book.

It's just not the same experience when reading on the computer so I can't imagine I would enjoy an electronic device for it.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 12-11-2011 12:20 PM In reply to

E-readers are a serious blessing to arthritic hands, and to myopia. Less discussed is the blessing to allergy sufferers-no mildew, no dust mites, no flea eggs hiding in the pages. I do my reading on an iPod Touch, about half the size of an e-reader or iPad. It's cut bookshelf space from a 9 foot wall down to two small shelves which hold light reading scored from the Sally. I only recently discovered that iBooks and Nook have free books not available from Gutenberg, so don't forget these two sources. I'll take both E and tree, thank you. One of the new Whitfield County schools is tablet-only. I really did walk 1 1/2 miles each way with an armload of oversized textbooks way back when, so I'm delighted that millennials will be spared the backache and arm cramps. Jayashiangel, get the tablet. You're worth it.
Page 2 of 4 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us