Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The crowning glory of going without a haircut for a year!

Last post 03-17-2010 7:03 PM by Anna Marie. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (39 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-01-2007 5:51 PM

The crowning glory of going without a haircut for a year!

Dear All, I have not had my hair cut for about a year, give or take.  It had been ear-length, with a prominent triangular wedge at the back.  I didn't cut it becAuse I couldn't afford to cut it.  It was just one of those discretionary expenses that I could let go of.  When it was medium-length, it frankly looked odd & bad.  But, now that it is past shoulder length, & I can wear it in a high ponytail, it looks great.  (When I brush it out at the end of the day, LOL, it still looks odd because of the wedge ....  I figure when it grows a few more inches, I can have a haircut (justified due to the length of time since my last one), & get rid of the wedge ....
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 05-01-2007 6:25 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Re: The crowning glory of going without a haircut for a year!

Deb, I did almost the exact same thing. I had a short cut which needed to be trimmed every 6 weeks or so to look decent and I got tired of taking the time as well as paying for it so often. I quit going, let it grow out and keep it back in various ways. I trim the top myself and since I have a natural curl, no one can tell if it's not quite perfect.

I've been thinking of going in for a professional trim, but I like the way it is now and I'm afraid they'd mess it up. My daughter has a friend who trained as a beautician but couldn't continue because of allergies. I'm thinking I can pay her to do it the way I want.

Is there anyone you know who could trim or shape it for you for less than a salon would charge?  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
    Filed under:
  • 05-01-2007 6:36 PM In reply to

Dear Pat, There is a beauty school right around the corner from my apt.  I still don't want even to pay that low price until my hair grows further, as, if I had them even out the wedge, then my hair would be too short for a high ponytail, & would look weird again.  I've waited long enough for my hair to look good again, & don't want to end that.

The beauty school costs only about $6 for a cut, & even I can afford that, but, as above, I don't want to cut it yet.

Thanks for your compassionate reply.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 05-01-2007 6:54 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

I understand what you mean. Mine has evolved into a sort of weird style, with the sides straight and the top and all the way down the back layered. I wouldn't dare go into a salon or a beauty school and ask them to maintain the style while they trimmed it! Big Smile It works for me, though and doesn't look as weird as it sounds. Really.

It's not a matter of being able to afford it as much as not having to spend money when we don't need to. Six dollars is pretty inexpensive, though.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 05-01-2007 9:16 PM In reply to

I just donated my hair for the third time-to locks of love!  My baby had turned three months, and I was ready to donate before it started falling out.  So you can find places for a free haircut when you donate- that's kept my haircut prices way down for the past several years.  You need twelve inches to donate, two of my daughters have also-

Tracy 

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• 05-01-2007 11:03 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Pat, I think this is one of those things that can be filed under frugal buffet mentality. It would just irritate me to have to spend $6 to cut my hair. I get free cuts from my Mom or daughter.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 05-02-2007 12:26 AM In reply to

Re: Re: The crowning glory of going without a haircut for a year!

My kids 7 and 10 have only been to the hair dressers a few times. I get my son's with the clippers and just trim my daughters shoulder length hair.

Me, I haven't been to a hairdresser for a couple of years now. I can't see the back of my head so don't really care what it looks like. Hubby says it is fine so that's good enough for me.

• 05-02-2007 8:15 AM In reply to

Until two years ago I went for 11 years without a professional hair cut (my husband would trim the ends a few times a year when it was needed).  But then a friend of mine opened her own salon in her converted garage and I cut my waist length hair short.  I get a trim every other month and she charges me $10.  I just save $5 each month from my mad money to do this since my hair is now much easier to take care of and I like it better short.  My husband and son's keep their hair cut short and we do this at home with clippers. 
  • 05-02-2007 10:14 AM In reply to

What a great idea! My toddler has curly hair and we don't cut it very often.  I cut mine every 8 -12 weeks and I cringe paying salon prices.  My hubby likes long hair.  I like shorter but maybe now is the time to let it grow the way he likes it, save some $$$ and have some fun.  When my hair is shorter I have to cut it or it is hard to manage. 

A quick hint:  Use baking soda with your shampoo once a week and it makes a great difference!!! A vinegar rinse is great too.,

• 05-02-2007 12:32 PM In reply to

DH hasn't shaved in over a year does that count? LOL!

I have my hair professionally permed and trimmed once a year, and make do trimming myself the rest of the time. If I worked fulltime again and cared what my hair looked like I might go back to every 6 or 8 wks...ah the good ol days before marriage and kids and no money.....................

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 4 (39 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us