Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Homespun

Last post 01-25-2012 12:16 AM by MarthaMFI. 43 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-12-2012 6:36 PM In reply to

Re: Homespun

Becky:

My mother had a cousin whoe's wife could design and sew anything. She designed her kids clothing, and made it all. She was also very good at going "shopping", taking mental note of the fashions and styles of the clothing she saw but could not afford to buy for her large family, and she would sketch and sew the outfits. She did winter coats too. Fabulous seamstress.

Grrand mother use to do that cool beckey that is hard work.

• 01-13-2012 12:12 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Brandy:
    Do you  think we may ever see the average person finding something homemade to be something to be proud of, something more desirable than the commercial alternative

Not as long as there are commercials, and groups, heavily promoting the opposite ideals. As long as there are a majority of people who promote the idea that homemade is a cheap embarassment, and they have the money to back up their ideals, there won't be any changes, unless and until those very same people have to face the need to have homemade. 

Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 01-13-2012 3:28 PM In reply to

• Lisa R
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 01-05-2012
    • New York City
    • Posts 32

Edey-

Thanks for the tip about the older sewing books.  Definitely going to look into that.  I'm sure I'll be able to find some offered on the web.

Brandy-

regarding your question... "the average person"?  Maybe not.  There will always be a subset of society that honors creativity, though.  It's such a gift to have artistic, creative, freethinking friends who constantly inspire us.

The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot. ~ Werner Herzog
  • 01-13-2012 4:52 PM In reply to

One thing I have discovered in terms of making my own clothing, especially when it comes to things like socks, sweaters, etc...

I can knit those things, no problem. But it's *expensive*. Yarn is not cheap, unless I get the $2/skein polyester yarn that not only looks cheap, it's not very comfortable (and socks made from that would rub your feet off). A skein of sock yarn can run between around $10-$30. You might get a pair of socks out of a skein, but something like a pair of knee highs will be 2 skeins worth. That's as much as $60 for a pair of knee highs, and that's not even considering time spent making them!

Let's say I'm not making socks... just a sweater. While I won't need sock yarn, even the cheaper yarn I'll need will likely run me around $7/skein, and I'll need 10-12 skeins to make it. A $70 sweater! I could probably find something similar for $30 or less brand new, even more so if I find one in a thrift store!

I don't think it's a matter of homespun clothing no longer having value, it's that it's become too expensive in today's world.

Making your own clothing doesn't negate the slave labor issue, either... who harvested the cotton that made that fabric? Who wove the inexpensive fabric?

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • 01-13-2012 4:57 PM In reply to

The thing it may cost more but in a classic style last forever.  But knowing how to sew and alter things to update or make them fit you better is a big key in using things. 

My moms sister could copy any fashion. She would sew dresses for all the girls in the family all 7.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 01-23-2012 3:43 PM In reply to

Right now, I can think of two reasons why homespun clothes etc will not reoccur today or in a near future.

1. The "I'm entitled to have the best of evertything I want immediately when I want it, preferably for free" mentality that so many people, with or without money, have and live by. 

It has, of course, disastrous effects for the economy of the society, lots of people preferring to live on social welfare - or even worse, work illegally and take social benefits at the same time to get the sort of living they feel they deserve and enjoy. And so, they wrongfully devour resources that would be very much needed by others, those who are ill, or mothers and children who are abused or left by their husbands and fathers.

In an other perspective, I don't want to go back to the economic system that reigned in my home country, Sweden, 150 years ago. The land owners lived very comfortable lives, while the landless workers could really suffer. (That's why so many of my country men emigrated to America in those days.) Today, nobody would stand with his hat in his hand bowing for the patron... and I think that is a good thing. - Not to say that one should be lazy or use other people! (Please, don't misunderstand this!)

2. Like Karen says: the infrastructure is not present to go back to a self sustaining, independent living. Most people today are poorer, in terms of owning land and natural resources, than people were 150 years ago.

We'd rather like to think the opposite, but today, land and resources are concentrated in a few hands, by large multinational companies.

And growing economies, like China, are actively buying companies and resources in, for example, Africa and Europe. Today they opt for economic influence - tomorrow they will demand political influence as well. I believe you have, if not similar, problems in America, still other problems that are equal to these in importance.(It would be interesting to hear about them...)

• 01-23-2012 4:47 PM In reply to

In regard to the 50's...I remember my mom taking my dad's pin striped suit and making me a suit (back when you dressed up for church!). Also, I had hand-me-downs from mom's good friend's daughter...they were not needy nor were we, it was just the way things were done. Wore the same dress (yes, I said dress) to school many days of the week. All this had nothing to do with anyone's financial status. When I went away to college, my wardrobe consisted of only one new thing...a blouse.

I am not looking for admiration. Just want you young whipper snappers (:) to know that was the way of the world at that time!

• 01-23-2012 5:13 PM In reply to

I was in high school in the late 70's and early 80's. My wardrobe consisted of 2 pair of new jeans, 3 shirts, one skirt and blouse or dress, a cardigan sweater, a jacket, and one pair of nice shoes, and one pair of sneakers for everyday and a coat, AND whatever carried over from the year before. Not very exciting but it made laundry easy.
  • 01-23-2012 6:51 PM In reply to

Many people do work hard today, but at jobs rather than at home on homemade handicrafts, housework etc. Work is work be it in a law office or on a farm, neither is superior in my opinion.

Society has changed so drastically and on so many levels since the 1700s and many women have to work outside the home, not for pricy consumer items but for survival.

As for thrift, I agree. But it is a trickle down effect of sorts. Our society has developed to the point that it is less costly to replace an item than to repair it.  Printers are a good example. Sure there are sources for refilling the cartridges on your own, but why should we have to? Why are cartridges not far less expensive than the printer? Televisions are another example and I have only see one cobbler in my life in a very exclusive neighborhood in a large city.

They did what they had to do to survive then as we do now to survive in this economic climate.

• 01-23-2012 8:23 PM In reply to

Cheryl:

Many people do work hard today, but at jobs rather than at home on homemade handicrafts, housework etc. Work is work be it in a law office or on a farm, neither is superior in my opinion.

Society has changed so drastically and on so many levels since the 1700s and many women have to work outside the home, not for pricy consumer items but for survival.

As for thrift, I agree. But it is a trickle down effect of sorts. Our society has developed to the point that it is less costly to replace an item than to repair it.  Printers are a good example. Sure there are sources for refilling the cartridges on your own, but why should we have to? Why are cartridges not far less expensive than the printer? Televisions are another example and I have only see one cobbler in my life in a very exclusive neighborhood in a large city.

Televisiion and the computer for example of the city to repair like leather shoes  or a strapon purses I hardly see those guys unless the phone book is around another a proper dress maker hardly see those around and a tv those gotten out of hand this 21 centery when allot of people still have anologe tv who can afford those I can't and computer Im operating of a 5 year old computer got to save up for one before I get it along with a laptop everything from growing gardens hardlt see unless its the 1700's now I see gardens and now I see sewing kits come off the hook AT THE DOLLAR STORE and cars not sold like they use to be well maybe some people think before blowing and repair things before giving them up and dusting off the sewing machine don't hurt to make clothes from hand me downs to brother to brother sister to sister aint'nt that a hoot.

Page 4 of 5 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us