Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Dry Cleaning

Last post Thu, Nov 13 2008 12:42 PM by Brandy. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 28 2007 6:07 PM

Dry Cleaning

A friend called and asked where I had my dry cleaning done - she was spending a small fortune having her clothes done and wanted to know if there was someplace cheaper?  I had to laugh.  I told her the only thing I own that could possibly need dry cleaning is a beautiful, charcoal, lightweight wool dress coat I got for $5 at a thrift store.  It's worn no more than 1 - 3 times a year (usually a funeral).  I brush it after I wear it and hang it on a good wooden hanger (not a wire hanger) and button it up so that it doesn't sag on the hanger.  I also cover the shoulders with a dust cover for hanging garments.  It has serviced me nicely for over a decade and I've never had it dry cleaned.  Everything else I own is laundered.  So I guess that's just another sign of being frugal.

My friend also has things dry cleaned that she's just too lazy to take care of at home.  She just can't get over the fact I don't contribute to the problem of toxic chemicals in the world by using a dry cleaner.  I don't purchase clothing that takes special care - even my so-called "nice" stuff.

So I ask all you good and kind frugal folks, what kind of money do you spend/budget for dry cleaning?  Have any of you used the "at home" dry cleaning stuff you use in your dryer?

~Gingerbread

• Wed, Nov 28 2007 6:12 PM In reply to

Re: Dry Cleaning

dry clean? dry clean what? spend my hard earned money (which was already spent on clothing) over and over and over again? i think not!  dry clean only clothes? eh whatever....ill just throw it in the washer anyways! but on cold, tied in a pillowcase, and will hang or lay flat to dry

• Wed, Nov 28 2007 8:21 PM In reply to

Most of my clothes are wash and wear but I do own and wear regularly some suits that cannot be thrown in the washer. I only take them to the dry cleaner when it is absolutely necessary and have not for a long time. I spot clean almost everything. I received a samle of the dry cleaner sheets for in the dryer but I'm afraid of ruining the garments. Anyone have experience?

Terri

• Wed, Nov 28 2007 9:16 PM In reply to

• Juardo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 17 2007
    • Posts 210

My husband is required to wear suits, dress shirts, sport coats and dress slacks for work. Dry cleaning is not optional. I have used the Dryel home cleaning system to "freshen" his pants and vests between cleanings as long as there are no soil or stains on them. By doing this he can usually wear a pair of dress pants or wool slacks 2 or 3 times between professional cleanings. Our dry cleaning bill runs about $80-$90 bucks per month.

• Wed, Nov 28 2007 9:16 PM In reply to

• kalla
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 15 2007
    • Posts 112

Terri,

I haven't used the dry cleaner products... but I read they didn't work very well and like you I would be afraid of ruining something. I have a few things that I dry clean but I spot clean and use the lint brush as much as possible.

• Wed, Nov 28 2007 9:24 PM In reply to

• Juardo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 210

I forgot to note that though my husband has all of his work clothes dry cleaned, mine are the opposite. I only dry clean my suit jackets to preserve the blocking. They are only cleaned about once every 3 or 4 months as I do not wear them all the time, only when going into meetings. My pants are wash and wear as are my shirts. I machine wash my sweaters and dry them flat. To save money further when it comes to work clothes, I follow a tip taught me by a coworker years ago. Solid bottoms in black and brown only, and colored or print tops and sweaters. It makes changing things up easier. Also two colors of shoes. Black and brown, belts black and brown. Mine reverses. Black on one side, brown on the other.  I do not buy trendy clothes, only classics that do not go out of style.

• Wed, Nov 28 2007 10:03 PM In reply to

I don't normally buy dry clean only stuff. wash and wear is my style. But we do have suits etc that need to be dry cleaned but since it rarely worn we don't have to go to the dry cleaners except maybe once a year or less.

My Family's Interests
  • Wed, Nov 28 2007 10:22 PM In reply to

• Juardo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 210

I have had good luck with the Dryel product and have not ruined anything. My dryer is newer though and has a cycle just for Dryel or Dry Cleaners Secret. The clothes always come out fresh and it allows for extra wear between pro cleanings. One thing I do in addition to the Dryel product is I spritz my husbands pants with water in the area on the front that wrinkles when he sits. It helps remove the wrinkles. I also Febreeze the inside of the suit jackets.

• Wed, Nov 12 2008 8:15 PM In reply to

I do not spend any money dry cleaning at my house. I found a nice how to wash dry clean only clothes page on the internet. Since then I have been hand washing all my dry clean only clothes with no problems. It is great having sites like this one and others that really helps save money and time. Suzy
    Suzy Queue
  • Thu, Nov 13 2008 9:05 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Suzy Queue:
    Since then I have been hand washing all my dry clean only clothes with no problems.

I usually buy dry clean only items at the thrift store. I take the chance with hand washing them in water and mild soap and to date have not had any problems with this.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us