Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Frugal Cold Remedies/Relievers

Last post Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:27 PM by cheapChic. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 4 2011 10:56 AM

Frugal Cold Remedies/Relievers

I cannot be sick i have too much to do!

We all ahd this head-chest yuck last week and it quickly went away. Now ds and I are down with it again. Snnezing, plugged sinuses and chest congestion. Some of the OTC stuff does nothing except make me feel groggy. Any suggestions to make us more comfortable and able to do what needs to be done?

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Tue, Oct 4 2011 11:34 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Re: Frugal Cold Remedies/Relievers

I've usually found that drinking a lot of water (double my usual intake) helps me. I don't know, but it feels like it waters down the fluids, making them sneeze out/blow out easier? (Gross, sorry.)  Hot showers, lots of steam will help loosen things up too. I know many people swear by the "neti pot" but I don't have any personal experience with them. Vaporizer at night.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon!

• Tue, Oct 4 2011 1:40 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Pot of water on the wood stove with some Vicks in it. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Tue, Oct 4 2011 2:25 PM In reply to

Dh uses a neti pot and swears by it, but it is gross to me....Hmm

Maybe its time to get out the humidifiers.

When i cough, my head hurts so bad it feels like its gonna split.....owwwwwwww

• Tue, Oct 4 2011 2:28 PM In reply to

Neti pot! If you don't have one (and you don't need to buy one), just use a bulb syringe or some type of vessel with a spout. Google neti pot solution recipes and make your own solution (basically salt water). There are pics on Google on how to use a neti pot. It flushes out the sinuses and looses the packed yuck up there. I take a decongestant right before so they work together and I get relief.

DH swears by the neti pot and used to have chronic sinus infections and was on antibiotics quite a bit. Now, he has been infection free for almost 2 years. He uses the neti pot more frequently as he is prone to sinus congestion.

I also second using vapor/steam whether a pot on the stove or from a humidifier. Hot showers work, too.

If you had a cold and thought it went away and is now back, you could be developing an infection. If you get a fever, you may need a doctor's appt. Good luck!

Erika
  • Tue, Oct 4 2011 2:38 PM In reply to

We all had fevers last week when we had round one of the cold virus, this week no fevers.

• Tue, Oct 4 2011 5:49 PM In reply to

Maybe some extra vitamin C in citrus or in pill form?  Peppermint tea can help clear your sinuses  ... at least for a bit.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:28 AM In reply to

Getting enough sleep!  I also find reasonbly good temporary relief from herbal teas, especially Gypsy Cold Care from Traditional Medicinals
  • Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:30 AM In reply to

I do need to buy some more herbal teas...I forgot how wonderful they were! They also make me drink more fluids.

• Thu, Oct 6 2011 3:42 AM In reply to

Garlic - as much as you can eat... Parsley... vitamin a, c, d, e and ZINC rich foods ... echancia and goldenseal liquid herbal extracts... clear broths especially potato peel and bone broths... foods high in potassium especially during flu... rest when need but remaining active so the system does not slow down... fresh clean air and water - lots of water/fluids... fresh juices and teas... aromatherapy steams especially eucaplytus and citrus, mint... neti pot flushes... this is your natural medicine cabinet. Prayers to God for a fast healing. Try these things above, they are better than any OTC or RX med. GARLIC, load up.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us