Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

making the computer last....

Last post Wed, Nov 2 2011 1:09 PM by peachyplum. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 25 2011 8:29 AM

making the computer last....

DH and I are about to change out the hard drive in our computer.  The average hard drive gets something like 25,000 hours of use; our current hard drive has more than 45,000 hours of use and it's finally starting to breakdown on us.  Needless to say, we've gotten our money's worth out of it.  The hard drive DH will install we already own; DH grabbed it on major markdown some time ago (before we moved to Indiana) b/c he knew it would work in our current home computer.  So that component is free.  We also need to invest some $$ into some RAM that is compatible with this computer and then it should last at least another couple of years.

Meanwhile, we intend to set up a savings jar and work together as a family to save up some $$ so that next school year we can buy a new computer.  August is generally the best month to buy a computer b/c of back-to-school sales.  As a university student I can get all the most recent software DIRT CHEAP, so we'll buy a computer that has an operating system on it (a form of windows), but little else.

All of this made me wonder how old everyone else's computer is?  And if your current computer is just a year or 2 old, how long did your previous computer last?

The computer we are nursing along is around 8 years old.  The computer I had before this one lasted about 8-9 years as well.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sun, Sep 25 2011 8:36 AM In reply to

Re: making the computer last....

My current computer is about 2, but it replaced a laptop I bought for college in 2002, which I still have. I don't use it much (it's pretty slow now compared to newer machines, and the battery doesn't hold a charge) but I keep it updated in case I need an emergency spare.
  • Sun, Sep 25 2011 9:56 AM In reply to

My desktop is about two years old; it replaced one that I'd had for around five years, I think. My laptop I've had for just under two years, but I'm not sure how old it is as DH got it used from someone he knows. My previous laptop was also bought used; it lasted several years, but a very stubborn virus and a power cord plug-in that went bad finally did it in. I'm pretty hard on my computers in the sense that I'm on them all day long, every day, so it's surprising they last as long as they do for me.

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Sun, Sep 25 2011 11:44 PM In reply to

My son-in-law is a compuer geek.  he works for the state and they are constantly updating computers.  His job is to switch out parts and rebuild computers.  Some parts are useable and in good conditon after being updated.  he is allowed to take those home, so he builds family members computers from those and few parts that we have to purchase.  My present computer is about a year old, with new and used parts.  My laptop is 3 years old and only used for bookkeeping work.

• Mon, Sep 26 2011 8:48 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

My computer is new but the laptop I used before is three years old. It's still running but my husband has to reinstall the operating system as it isn't working properly.

We use the computer quite a bit with my working here and homeschooling. I can't expect mine to last five years, forget eight.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Sep 26 2011 9:12 AM In reply to

My current one is less than one year old as is my son's. We bought ours from amazon.com. my son has an old one that is 4 years old that runs XP yet and he uses that for our older school curriculum and thats all. Dh has 3: one that is 3 years old and keeps crashing and he keeps getting it going again, and 2 waaayy old ones from 2003 that he takes one with him in his work van and on mission trips because its no big loss if they get stolen or damaged. all are laptops. Our 2004 desktop died several years ago and we never replaced it.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Sep 26 2011 9:22 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

It's good to see you again, Michelle!

• Mon, Sep 26 2011 12:31 PM In reply to

Brandy:

It's good to see you again, Michelle!

Big SmileEmbarrassed TY! Wondering if you were still around!

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Sep 26 2011 2:25 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Cinnamonhuskies:
    Wondering if you were still around!

Yes, I am. I manage the forums now since Pat retired from the position.

• Mon, Sep 26 2011 3:08 PM In reply to

DH laptop is less than a year old and is really a work laptop as it is provided by the school district and owned by them. They lease the laptops and get new ones every 2-3 years. My laptop is about 5 years old and is slow compared to my work computer (2 months old). But I really just use it for internet/email/some word processing. Previous to my laptop, we had a desktop that we bought with wedding money in 2000 so it lasted about 5 years as well. We have what we need for our uses.
    Erika
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us