Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What if any incentive does your market give you for bringing your own bags?

Last post 09-16-2012 2:26 PM by zohnerfarms. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-29-2011 6:27 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: What if any incentive does your market give you for bringing your own bags?

The grocery stores I shop in have never given bag incentives.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-29-2011 9:45 AM In reply to

The Kroger's in the Atlanta Market don't do it and I called corporate and they told me it wasn't going to happen here anytime soon. I always use my own bags and the baggers complain about it all the time. Management doesn't like it either. I had a store manager bag my groceries last week and he complained about my bags the whole time. He told me "that's what they have bags for". I told him "good but I use my own.."
  • 07-29-2011 11:00 AM In reply to

How rude of that manager.  It's actually cheaper for the store for customers to bring their own bags, not that he cares about that or the environment apparently.  I'd complain about him to his boss.
  • 07-29-2011 12:44 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

rondavue66:
    I had a store manager bag my groceries last week and he complained about my bags the whole time.

That's amazingly ridiculous. Our stores don't offer rewards for bringing our own but most of the grocery stores and places like Walgreens, CVS, Walmart and Target sell branded reuseables. 

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-29-2011 8:25 PM In reply to

I did call Corporate about it and that's when I found out they have nothing in the works for our store. They apologized for him and sent me a pink reusable Kroger bag.
  • 07-29-2011 9:00 PM In reply to

rondavue66:
    I did call Corporate about it and that's when I found out they have nothing in the works for our store. They apologized for him and sent me a pink reusable Kroger bag.

Ahh, that's good.  I think sometimes people feel that others won't do anything when they receive bad service like that, so I always try to let company's know when I've received either very good or very bad service.  An extra bag is nice too!

• 07-29-2011 10:11 PM In reply to

karenteacher:

cheapChic:

.05 cents a bag at krogers owned store at qfc we bring along 10 bags canvas.

You should make sure they're still doing that - King Soopers (which is a subsidiary of Kroger) quit paying for bags the beginning of June.  They said it was no longer cost effective.

I will make sure that they do that they were thinking about stopping it and it make mom mad about it but cindy is the tight one in the family she will call ahead on this one its a bummer what king scoopers does and here also thrift way type food same thing some is kroger stock people try so hard and the store is making it hard for us just to save a dollar or 2...

chrissanne
  • 07-30-2011 9:31 AM In reply to

• mum2four
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-26-2009
    • So. California
    • Posts 332

rondavue66:
    The Kroger's in the Atlanta Market don't do it and I called corporate and they told me it wasn't going to happen here anytime soon. I always use my own bags and the baggers complain about it all the time. Management doesn't like it either. I had a store manager bag my groceries last week and he complained about my bags the whole time. He told me "that's what they have bags for". I told him "good but I use my own.."

I think it must depend on what area you live in and whether they have embraced the concept of leaving a gentler foot print on this earth.  Every time I shop at Sprouts, Trader Joes and Whole Foods where I live, the cashiers greet me bysaying hello and then  thanking me for bringing my own bags. 

themusingsofavintageheart.blogspot.com
  • 07-30-2011 8:19 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

The manager/baggers need to keep their comments to themselves = good customer service. 

The reason why they don't like to deal with the bags is the difference in sizes.  With the standard plastic grocery bag or paper grocery bag, the bagger can fill them very quickly, knows just what will fit in, etc.  Having to slow down with bagging items is a big NO NO in most grocery stores--baggers are expected to be speedy by their managers--same as the cashier.  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• 07-31-2011 2:47 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

our market doesnt do anything but everyone in a while they will offer you their bags for a certain purchase

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 2 of 3 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us