Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

First time on SNAP Missouri

Last post Thu, Jul 14 2011 3:24 PM by Deborahmichelle. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 12 2011 1:31 PM

• twinsmom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 12 2011
    • Posts 1

First time on SNAP Missouri

Hi everyone. Firstly, I want to say how helpful and informative these forums are. I've spent my entire morning reading & learning so much! Looking forward to getting even more familiar with everyone & this wonderful resource. Secondly, I am brand new to using any form of gov't assistance and I'm completely at a loss. My caseworker has given me no information about how to use the card, but from reading everything so far, I think I have a good idea. My main question is - when I go to the grocery store and I use the card in the POS, what if I have toilet paper/paper towels/pet food or something I need to buy as well? Do I need to do this as an entire separate transaction or can I include everything in one transaction and the EBT card will only put through the legit items and then I can pay for the other items in this same transaction on my debit card? (Does that make sense?) I know this probably seems like a really silly question but I just don't want to put everything together in check-out and then not have any of it go through. Thanks so much for your help and all of this great info.
  • Tue, Jul 12 2011 3:10 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: First time on SNAP Missouri

Twinsmom - no your questions are not silly.  You do not need to separate your items.  When done, your EBT amount will come up first and after you have used your card, then the cash amount due will come up.

If the twins are young enough, are you getting WIC?  There should also be a food pantry in your area.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 8:03 AM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

Check to see if there is a pantry close to use. This will help you spread your food stamps/Snap. Talk with people that you know that might use the snaps. They could help tell you were the pantry's are and which ones are better then others. Also find out if they go to one pantry or more. In our county there is about 5 and I visit 4 every so often. If no one can help you find a pantry call you case worker and she might help you. Some tines churches has pantry. If you go to church let them know that you are getting snap. Some times your church can help.
  • Thu, Jul 14 2011 3:24 PM In reply to

Dear Twinsmom, You've received good advice from the others. All that I can add is that it would be good to ask the church(es) directly whether they can help you out w paper goods, feminine hygiene supplies & other non-food items. Good luck! Yours in Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us