Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Frugal Wine

Last post Thu, Oct 11 2012 9:39 PM by sissy. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 8 2011 10:40 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Frugal Wine

Wine can be an indulgent treat but also an expensive and even risky habit? As a person who does enjoy the benefits of a nice relaxing meal, I have found ways to add the luxury of wine in.

My biggest money and life saver is to not over indulge. Usually a half a glass is plenty for me. If I am feeling like really indulging then I will have a full glass. This gives me that feel of a luxurious meal or some pampering at less cost than if I drank more and I need not worry about the bad effects such things can have. 

Another cost saver is that I actually prefer cheap wine. I spend under $3 a bottle for my favorite brand and flavor. Some say what I drink isn't "real" wine but if I have enjoyed myself then that is what matters.

What other tips do you have for splurging on this luxury frugally and safely?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jun 8 2011 10:52 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: Frugal Wine

Not that I would advocate for anything illegal, but if I were to indulge in a little home brew, bet it would save a lot.  And if this illegal home brew were to spill into my glass, guess it would only take a little....Devil

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Jun 8 2011 2:51 PM In reply to

My husband and I do make wine and beer, and it's not illegal.  The wine we make gives us around 30 bottles for between $2 and $3 dollars each.  It would be illegal for us to sell our homebrew without a license or to make more than our allotted amount (can't remember how much that is, since we've never even come close, something like 200 gallons or so for each of us).  It does save us a lot of money, plus gives us a fun thing to do together in making beer, wine, and soda. 

• Wed, Jun 8 2011 4:35 PM In reply to

I love finding wine I enjoy around $3 a bottle and agree, it is a luxury. DH and I often have a bottle open for quite a while as we do not indulge much. Like a PP, usually a half a glass is sufficient, one glass if the kids are in bed, LOL.

One date night DH and I just had in April involved visiting a local vineyard and doing a wine tasting for $5. It gave us 5 tastes (usually an ounce) and then we got to purchase a bottle at 1/2 price. Doing the tasting, we found one we both enjoyed and bought it for about $6. Having 5 ounces (maybe a bit more as the lady poured a bit generously) was plenty for me. And we supported a local business so that felt good, too.

When we eat out, I never order a glass of wine as it costs as much for a glass as it does for the whole bottle! Unless it's my birthday, LOL...

Erika
  • Wed, Jun 8 2011 4:37 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

I also make my own wine and it's a very frugal and legal alternative to buying at the store! There are kits like Stacycue mentions, which can be a little pricey. But you don't even need a kit! We did a hard apple cider last fall that turned out wonderful, just using cider-mill cider. And for summer, I make a lemon wine. Seriously, all it is, is sugar, ReaLemon (or the store brand equivalent), and water. You need yeast, and you need a little time for the fermentation - but this lemon wine doesn't even have to age once it's fermented!

The equipment can be a little pricey at first but if you know someone who does it, borrow what you need and see if you enjoy it. You can find it inexpensively on Craigslist too. If you're making the lemon stuff, all you really need is a bucket to ferment it in. We didn't even have a chance to bottle most of it last summer - put it in a pitcher right out of the bucket, and put the pitcher in the fridge.

Not only do you have your own hooch, but it makes great inexpensive gifts, if your friends are into that kind of thing... 

• Wed, Jun 8 2011 4:39 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

mamasjob:
    One date night DH and I just had in April involved visiting a local vineyard and doing a wine tasting for $5.

That sounds like fun and the price was a very frugal date.

I will order a drink in a resturaunt if my husband and I are having a date ourselves just to enjoy the meal. I put it down as part of the evening and we just don't go if we can't afford it.

• Wed, Jun 8 2011 5:37 PM In reply to

We've done the winery visits, too ... always interesting to try new stuff.   We do try to keep the cost under $10 a bottle when we visit wineries ... unfortunately, it's getting a bit tough to do.

Otherwise, we like to get the $3 bottles too .... we have our favorites, but we enjoy looking for new stuff.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, Oct 10 2012 8:25 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

We are coming closer to holiday season. I am bumping this discussion up for those who will be looking to make elegant meals on a budget.

• Wed, Oct 10 2012 11:51 AM In reply to

We usually don't have to pay for alot of the wine that my DH drinks because at Christmas time he gets quite a few bottles from his vendors at work and DD's boyfriend worked at a winery and sent a few bottles home with her for DH to try. We also went to a wine tasting last year and bought a few bottles which we open if we are having company for dinner. DH loves wine and isn't fond of the 3 buck bottles so we watch for sales on his favorites. He only has a glass or 2 with dinner once in awhile so a bottle lasts for a few meals unless I use a little to cook with. DD likes the 3 buck bottles so we keep a few in the house for her and her girlfriends. My brother just started making his own beer. He's having alot of fun doing it.
    Riley
  • Thu, Oct 11 2012 5:16 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

LifeofRiley:
    We usually don't have to pay for alot of the wine that my DH drinks because at Christmas time he gets quite a few bottles from his vendors at work and DD's boyfriend worked at a winery and sent a few bottles home with her for DH to try.

It doesn't get cheaper than free, lol.

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us