Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Quick advice for a suddenly independent 18 year old

Last post Wed, Jun 4 2014 12:29 PM by Maggie Trudeau. 89 replies.
Page 6 of 9 (90 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 5 2012 4:44 PM In reply to

Re: Quick advice for a suddenly independent 18 year old

Thanks for the interest, Babs. it's been kind of fun to really watch him grow up by leaps and bounds this year. He thanked me for kicking his a**...I don't think I actually kicked anything but many of us encourage, guided, cajoled and sometimes inflicted some very strong disappointed looks. He's always surprised and grateful for support like the college trips and 20$ here and there which is very sweet and I think those manners and genuine gratitude will get him far. We'll be making sure he has somewhere to go on school breaks and a few care packages and visits during the school year.
  • Tue, Jun 5 2012 7:24 PM In reply to

That's great, Maggie.  It sounds like he's well on his way (with a lot of thanks to you and his other friends!)

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Thu, Jun 28 2012 12:24 PM In reply to

Things change fast in the life of a 19 year old with a bit of money in the bank! Our young man decided to go ahead and move to the university town right away. So this weekend, I'm helping him cram his stuff (which he has wisely paired down...though unwisely added a 40" TV) in my car and taking him to his next home. He decided to go ahead and move to Seattle where he's going to go to school in the fall. He got a room at a rooming house sort of thing near campus. For about 500$/month he'll get a private room with shared bath and kitchen. Furniture provided. He can move out any time with 20 days notice. It's a 10 minute walk to the center of campus. This is 1/2 the cost of living in a triple dorm room and he won't have to be out during school holidays and summer breaks. He says he'll be looking for a job over summer. I hope he does but even if he doesn't, he'll be getting used to navigating around the city and campus, making connections with his housemates, and settling in to the city. I encouraged him to do volunteer work even if he can't find a paid job. It will add to his work experience and give a bit of structure to his time. Some of his support group are still going over in August for the university orientation so we can check up on him then. I'm thinking of asking him to make contact at least once a week so we know he's doing OK or if he needs anything. Having the rental reference from the campground where he lived for a year really helped him get this place. It was nice to see that what all us old ladies told him panned out right on schedule! We said he'd need that reference, and he did. He got quite a bit of cash for graduation presents and says he's going to use a bit of it to get a bus pass for the rest of the summer. Good plan. He's already made contact with people in the department where he will be studying and with an acquaintance from his childhood who is living and working over there so he's got a bit of a support system. I think the fellow residents of the rooming house will also be helpful. The place is 4 or 5 blocks from a grocery store. 2 blocks from a major bus stop, and 3 blocks from "the ave" where all the student focused businesses are. I'm kind of jealous!
  • Fri, Jun 29 2012 7:17 PM In reply to

Well, sounds like things are moving along nicely.   Has he had much experience with city life?

I do like the idea of him checking in with someone once a week or so ... hopefully he'll do it.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Tue, Jul 3 2012 11:57 AM In reply to

He's been overseas as an exchange student in a pretty good size city and he loved it. He'll have more experience here shortly.
  • Wed, Aug 29 2012 1:24 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Up date time,
    Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Thu, Aug 30 2012 5:00 PM In reply to

babs:
    Up date time,
    Babs
    LOL! he's been doing so well I haven't bothered to update have I? He's doing fine. I reminded him about rent the first month in his new digs and got "I already paid it yesterday." Yeay! He's liking the boarding house thing. He gets together with some of the guys to play cards once a week. The onsite manager seems to be a buddhist or similar and is very into leading a responsible life, but not in an oppressive way. Good influence. The young man has had a few job interviews and had me help him clean up his resume' to look more professional and less "I just got out of high school." He's chosen his classes for the fall quarter and they all sound interesting. Still 4 weeks before the term starts though. Let's see...I'll be over there for a work conference in 10 days or so and will be checking in with him on whether he's REALLY gotten through with the financial aid process. I think he has, but he often says he's done with a process but he hasn't actually signed on the dotted line. I think that's common in the young...actually in all of us. He's been doing quite a bit of his art and creative work which I think is really healthy and he's loving the city. The "group" of supporters have been sending him cards now and then just saying "keep up the good work" and "we're proud of you". No requests for money so far so he must be budgeting well! Thanks for asking about him.
  • Thu, Aug 30 2012 9:16 PM In reply to

Good cindy would like to hear about this young man making it in the world he will be ok thanks for theup date on him..... sissy and cheapchic

chrissanne
  • Wed, Oct 10 2012 12:48 AM In reply to

Maggie, I'm new here and just read through this entire thread. God bless you for what you have done for this young man. It sounds like you saved a life. You and your friends really went out on a limb for him. It's so good to read about people like you! Christine PS Best wishes for this young man.
  • Wed, Oct 10 2012 7:19 PM In reply to

Tussiemussies:
    PS Best wishes for this young man.

I'll pass those on.  he thinks it's funny that he's featured on a thrifty forum.  He's made excellent choices and made the most of the help so I give all the credit to him.

Page 6 of 9 (90 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us