Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Wedding Keepsake

Last post 05-20-2011 9:47 AM by grame. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-18-2011 12:09 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Wedding Keepsake

For the sake of simple and decluttered living, it does not make sense to pack a wedding gown that will never be seen again. Are there ways to make something from the dress that can be become a displayed momento of the day? Dare we consider creating something useful?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 05-18-2011 12:42 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Re: Wedding Keepsake

With no one else to pass it on to ...  I've seen wedding gowns repurposed into quilts, kerchiefs - that kind of thing. 

We were just at a wedding this past weekend and the brides dress was passed down to her, it was her grandma's dress originally, her mother wore it and now she had it revamped into a shorter more modern dress.  It was lovely.

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • 05-18-2011 2:27 PM In reply to

After my divorce, I donated my dress to a resale shop that targets low-income prom attendees and brides.
  • 05-18-2011 4:47 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I wore my Great Grandma dress and veil ...  my DD's have worn it  ,  My Sister in law wore it 

and 4 DILs  wore it   the veil has been used by several families .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 05-18-2011 5:01 PM In reply to

Karen K:

We were just at a wedding this past weekend and the brides dress was passed down to her, it was her grandma's dress originally, her mother wore it and now she had it revamped into a shorter more modern dress.  It was lovely.

That is lovely! I have seen dresses re-made into baptism/christening gowns for babies and the veils into bonnets. For my "something old" for my wedding, I carried a handkerchief that my mother carried in her wedding. For baby girl's baptism, I folded it into a triangle and sewed satin ribbons on the corners for ties and she wore it as a little baptism cap.

I have my wedding dress packed away in a closet. After my wedding, as a gift to me, my mother had it sent to a special company that cleaned and preserved the dress and placed it in a special packaging. I had thought about selling it but now that I have a girl, I think I may keep it...for a while!

Since I was larger than my tiny, petite, 5'3" mother, I couldn't wear her dress...a banana yellow peasant-y dress perfect for her 1973 Colorado mountain wedding, LOL. My grandmother's dress (she was also teeny tiny) was a navy velvet from 1937.

My cousins all wore my aunt's veil. We will see if any of the granddaughters wear it.

Erika
  • 05-19-2011 9:10 PM In reply to

My wedding dress is in the closet downstairs with dh wedding suit.   maybe dd will wear it but I think making a something special out of it is nice.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 05-20-2011 9:47 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I have drug the box containing my wedding dress around for 34 years (we divorced 5 years later).  If you think I'm cutting it up now, you're nuts.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us