Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Being prepared for emergencys, what could happen in your area?

Last post 01-27-2013 11:54 PM by zohnerfarms. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (36 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-17-2011 12:24 PM

Being prepared for emergencys, what could happen in your area?

We all live in different areas, different countries.   Some  of us are in the city, come in the country, Singles, familys. There are many types of emergencys that we could face in our lives.  Earthquakes, floods, blizzards, drought, job loss, tornados,  power outages. Some of these we have discussed and some maybe not enough.  Share what kind of disasters are more likey to happen in your area. I am sure that there are more than my list.  When our list is complete, we can discuss how we prepare, share ideas, and challenge ourselves to be a little more ready.
    Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 05-17-2011 1:15 PM In reply to

Re: Being prepared for emergencys, what could happen in your area?

Our area is subject to tornadoes, ice storms, flooding around us, but not on our place, and we're in what is expected to be an exit area if/ when the New Madrid fault shakes things up.We are prepared for cold weather in that we have plenty of warm clothing and bedding, as well as firewood and fuel for the grill. On non-overcast days I can cook in the solar oven. We keep plenty of food on hand, some of it designated as "first 72 hour easy." We also store water for drinking, bathing and flushing. The bathing and flushing part can be easily had from the Corps lake that is within two miles. My only concern right now is inability to refrigerate anything if we have an extended power loss in the summer.  AM
  • 05-20-2011 9:27 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

We have all of the above, plus nuclear reactor 9 miles as the crow flies.  I do have a hard copy of "what to do", of where things are and how to's in case I am not available to supervise my minions.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 05-20-2011 10:10 AM In reply to

they always talk about the big one here that we are supposely due for..earthquake.  now we are a mountainous area and the schools all have lockdown and earthquake drills.  they had one at dh school which is high up a mountain on the hwy yesterday...he said that his comments weren't appreciated..they are supposed to meet at the lower parking lot and dh said wouldn't the school be in the parking lot at that point.  one of those grain of truth jokes.   apparently the city where the school is considers the school as a break for rocks blocking hwy in an earthquake. the school will block any rock fall.   but at the rate of building up the mountain..they will reach the top in 20 yrs.

if the fraser river ever floods again ....we are too high up from them. but for those living on the river well....you know you can't complain about it.   if there is a tsumani ..vancouver island will block it for us..sorry sallybabe!  she lives on the island.

the only danger is being rained out lol

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 05-20-2011 2:51 PM In reply to

Thanks a lot Martha!!  LOL.  Seriously I live near the University of Victoria away from the seashore, unlike when I lived in Sidney - flat and next to the seashore.  So  a tsunami would flood James Bay and Esquimalt but the likelihood of  our area getting hit is about nil.  I do have a ton of food in the freezer and cupboards and fridge so if I had to survive for the 72 hours that they forecast you are on your own, no problem.  I have a small camping burner and the bottled gas for when the power goes out.  No BBQ though.  I have bottled water and enough meds too.  My best girlfriend is an Emergency Preparedness Co ordinator so has drilled enough stuff into me over the years that I took note and acted accordingly.  Not as good as her though, she has earthquake kit in her car at all times.  I don't think we will see the Big One in my lifetime.  At least I hope not.  Hugs Sally.
  • 05-20-2011 3:12 PM In reply to

lol  I was thinking if it was like Japan..the whole island would be gone.  We have a certain amount of stuff and a bbq.   I don't think we will see the big one either  but it does if them some to howl about all the time!!    just googled it...last big one yr1700.  Think there are other things to worry about and we are blessed here. no tornados, hurrianes or wildfires like the poor people in Slave Lake.  

I think Mother Nature proves you can only prepare so much and if she is going to get you, she will. Those poor people in Slave Lake only had 15 mins warning because of the wind speed and the people of Japan were prepared.    I believe in being prepared in all aspects of life but not to have it cloud my life with excess worry.

• 05-20-2011 5:49 PM In reply to

Yeah I have more to worry about as to what do I do when the EI runs out in 3 weeks time?  had interview for Census job but still have to wait and see if I get picked to do the job.  Only temporary job too, for 2-3 months time.  But hey better than nothing and I can use my scooter to do the transportation bit of it.  Cheaper than using the car and you do  have to have your own vehicle, one of the requirements of the job.

Island is a bit too big to be wiped out, it would have to be quite the Tsunami. LOL. Hugs Sally

• 05-20-2011 7:16 PM In reply to

Run for dem hills, or go screaming down the road FLOOD that won't work Im preparedpretty much just when we just what Im am a little nervouse what if the meds run out I have maybe a weeks worth in case of anything that was like expensive and a extra pair of glass's and lots of tools on hand just the meds i am worried about if no one comes after a week then Im the one bouncing off the wall and I don't need parants to put up with that they have enough of worry ....

• 05-20-2011 9:30 PM In reply to

that sucks that your ei runs out. Can you get an extension?  I know there is special extensions.   but I think you have to ask before ei runs out.   I hope it works out and you get the census job!   it is strange job market out there at the moment.

• 05-21-2011 12:28 AM In reply to

Here in Western Montana, we have snow and ice every winter, with major snow storms every few years, along with spring flooding in the low areas.  Summer is forest fire season, and we have small earthquakes all the time.  I live in a rural area, so the snow is major problem.  I just stay home.  I have a well stocked pantry, plenty of water, candles, oil lamps.  Smoke from the forrest fires can be thick and will last for weeks.  During those we are advised to stay inside, with windows closed.

Page 1 of 4 (36 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us