Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Home Canned Baked Beans

Last post 08-23-2012 5:09 PM by Karen K. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-06-2011 10:16 PM

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Home Canned Baked Beans

I  tweaked this recipe several times before I found just the right balance of molasses and honey.

This recipe is for 1lb beans which makes about 3 pints.   

Wash and drain beans, I prefer navy (white) beans.  Mix together 1/4c molasses, 1/4 c honey, 1 tbs vinegar, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp dry mustard and heat to boiling.  Meanwhile chop the onion.

Fill pint jars with 1/2c beans, 1/4 c molasses mixture, handful of chopped onion, and fill to 1/2" space with hot water. 

Seal jars according to proper canning procedures.  The longer the beans sit on the shelf, the better they taste.

Process at 11 lbs for 65 minutes - pints

for qts process 11lbs for 75 min

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • 05-06-2011 11:34 PM In reply to

Re: Home Canned Baked Beans

Karen, this sounds like a really good recipe. I know for my elevation I have to use 15 pounds of pressure. Can I still do the pints at 65 minutes?

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 05-07-2011 12:36 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Thank you this very close to my recipe

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 05-07-2011 9:44 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

budgetwise:

Karen, this sounds like a really good recipe. I know for my elevation I have to use 15 pounds of pressure. Can I still do the pints at 65 minutes?

I pulled out the book that came with my canner.  I'm at 1100' elevation so I'm safe to can it at 11lb.  The book says anything over 2000' to add:

2001-4000' cook at 12lb

4001-6000' 13lb

6001-8000' 14lb

So you would increase the pressure for your elevation, not the amount of time.

Karen K

• 05-07-2011 11:18 AM In reply to

Karen K:

budgetwise:

I pulled out the book that came with my canner.  I'm at 1100' elevation so I'm safe to can it at 11lb.  The book says anything over 2000' to add:

2001-4000' cook at 12lb

4001-6000' 13lb

6001-8000' 14lb

So you would increase the pressure for your elevation, not the amount of time.

I thought so, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks, again, for a great recipe.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 06-23-2011 12:45 PM In reply to

These sound fabulous, and similar to the recipe I have. Unfortunately, no pressure canner right now :-( So, I'll ahve to wait to can beans.

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • 08-22-2011 4:03 AM In reply to

Hi Karen, seems like you have a good recipe there. Never tried canning beans myself, but I've tried other vegetables. I agree that they taste better the longer they have been on the shelf. :) Anyway I think you need to know some guidelines since you tweaked your recipe a bit. Some do's and don'ts of home canning. I hope they are helpful.
  • 08-22-2011 9:33 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

MelaniePalmero:
    Hi Karen, seems like you have a good recipe there. Never tried canning beans myself, but I've tried other vegetables. I agree that they taste better the longer they have been on the shelf. :) Anyway I think you need to know some guidelines since you tweaked your recipe a bit. Some do's and don'ts of home canning. I hope they are helpful.

don't anyone click on that link - it's probably a virus

Karen K

• 09-18-2011 11:25 PM In reply to

Karen K:

I  tweaked this recipe several times before I found just the right balance of molasses and honey.

This recipe is for 1lb beans which makes about 3 pints.   

Wash and drain beans, I prefer navy (white) beans.  Mix together 1/4c molasses, 1/4 c honey, 1 tbs vinegar, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp dry mustard and heat to boiling.  Meanwhile chop the onion.

Fill pint jars with 1/2c beans, 1/4 c molasses mixture, handful of chopped onion, and fill to 1/2" space with hot water. 

Seal jars according to proper canning procedures.  The longer the beans sit on the shelf, the better they taste.

Process at 11 lbs for 65 minutes - pints

for qts process 11lbs for 75 min

Karen K I do can beans can this recipe work with green beans and the pole beans I got 2 jars coming out of that the neighbor felt sorry for me and gave me a bag also can regular beans like green beans and red work good in this recipe??? Dying to know because I don't want them to spoil and green beans and red beans are expensive here in my neighborhood. ,,,,Thank you ....Tongue Tied

chrissanne
  • 09-19-2011 9:37 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

according to the ball blue book

"Beans - Green snap & wax

1 12 to 21/2 beans per quart 

water

salt

Raw pack: wash beans , drain .remover string ends and break or cut beans in 2  inches  gathered  pack lightly into hot jar .leavening 1 inch headspaced . add 1/2 teaspoon salt , 1 teaspoon to a quart remove air bubbles adjust the lid  process pints 20 minutes quarts"

hope this helps .  

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us