Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Healthy Substitutes for The Good Ol Foods

Last post 01-31-2012 10:01 PM by LifeofRiley. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-06-2011 4:59 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Healthy Substitutes for The Good Ol Foods

There are some dishes that just seem to go together well and some that well..I have just eaten them together since I was a child. I have found some tasty alternatives when I have changed the combinations. I have also made some combinations that offer some balance for a healthier meal.

What are some old stand by dishes you have grown up with or know work well that you can find healthier substutions for.

One of mine is fried chicken. I often have macaroni and cheese or potato salad. This means starch/carbs in the breading and in the pasta. I think broccoli and cheese would add in a green and cut some carbs. 

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 05-06-2011 6:22 PM In reply to

Re: Healthy Substitutes for The Good Ol Foods

I love coleslaw with chicken!  You can make it quite healthy using low fat dressings or even vinegar based dressings.

Most of my meal combinations have a healthy component.  I was raised with a tossed salad (vinegar and oil dressing - Italian!) at nearly every meal and still make sure salad is always available.

Our downfall now is my bread. My grandkids can't wait for a warm slice with some of our local dairy's butter.  I guess I could add some whole wheat flour to it and see what the reaction is. 

Susan in MI

Susan in MI

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • 05-07-2011 7:18 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Grannie_Sue:
      I was raised with a tossed salad (vinegar and oil dressing - Italian!) at nearly every meal and still make sure salad is always available.

Mom liked having salads at every meal as well. I like to have them with each dinner. I think these are probably dishes we grew up with that are a good idea to keep.

• 05-07-2011 7:22 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Grannie_Sue:
      I guess I could add some whole wheat flour to it and see what the reaction is. 

Our favorite homemade bread comes from Hillbilly Housewife. The recipe allows for exhanging flours. The whole wheat version is enjoyed by my family as much as the white.

• 05-07-2011 10:56 AM In reply to

Most all whole grain and legume flours are a great and healthy substitute for white refined flour which offers densisty not nutrition. Making the switch is one of the best things one can do to improve and increase nutrition.

I am currently playing with the following subs:

Almond milk over dairy milk... Fat free plain yogurt for dips, spreads, cream/sauces, etc. ... and more legumes, potatoes, eggs and tofu as meat alternative protein sources.

Brandy, raw vegan pasta made with root vegetables, squash/zucchini is very easy to make. All you need is a spiral slicer or food peeler and peel into long noodles. Serve raw as is or lightly cook for a different texture.  I say this because you mentioned carbs in pastas/etc... Carbs coming from whole grains are good and shouldn't be an issue. It's the carbs coming from alterned - refined sugars and refined grains that are problemetic. A potatoe substitute is cauliflower, especially the orange cheddar variety - delicious flavor. Ground nuts and seeds can be used in place of breading. Nutritional yeast for cheese flavors in place of cheese... this is used in vegan dishes a lot... liquid amino braggs in place of dressings, soy, etc. Another very important switch - table salt over to all natural sea salt...celery salt and all fresh herbs are great jazzer uppers. Making one's own soups and broths is also very healthy and handy.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 01-31-2012 9:04 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

I am bumping this one up since many are trying to eat healthier this year.

What substitutes are you making for less healthier foods you love?

• 01-31-2012 10:01 PM In reply to

We use a mixture of whole wheat flour and white flour when making muffins, breads and pizza doughs. I don't deep fry foods like fries, we bake them in the oven I have autoimmune problems so I have to really watch what I eat and how things are cooked to avoid a flare up and to avoid ending up at the dr office. That is another reason I make things from scratch so I control what is in my food.
    Riley
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us