Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What Might You Have to Give Up With Gas Prices Heading Over $4/gal?

Last post 05-06-2011 9:15 AM by Juneflower. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (36 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-26-2011 6:42 PM

What Might You Have to Give Up With Gas Prices Heading Over $4/gal?

The outlook doesn't look good.  With the highest gas prices reported here on Dec. 10 at about $3.10, the price of gas in some places has already gone over $4/gal.  That's about a dollar increase in just a little over 4-1/2 months.  By summer's end, we could possibly be looking at gas prices over $5 to $6 per gallon.

I know we will have to give up some meat, unless it's bought super cheap, like the .88/lb. ham at Aldi's.  We have half that ham and the other half ham my sister bought for next month, so we won't have to buy as much luncheon meat.  But, even with prices heading over $4/gal., I know we'll have to tighten up even more.

I've only spoken about doing meatless meals in the past, but they will have to become a reality.  I'll be searching through my saved recipes here and on my computer for frugal recipes.  I know the ladies here have provided a bunch of frugal recipes and I've used some of them and want to try even more.  So, thanks to everyone who has contributed to the recipes and frugal ideas!  Ya'll are greatly appreciated here!

:)

• 04-26-2011 7:40 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: What Might You Have to Give Up With Gas Prices Heading Over $4/gal?

Interesting question.  Ours is at 3.64 and rising.  A few years ago prices went through the roof and it was rough.  I still remember the day I paid $104 to fill up.  Needless to say, I made major changes in my driving.  When prices went down I kept the more conservative habits.

Because of the way I set up my budget, gas comes out of my allowence, which means if prices get to high I gotta give up my guilty pleasure.  Yes, I fix my family a healthy breakfast, then on the way to work, I swing by and get biscuits & gravy.  At $5 a gallon, that will have go.  Ok, now you know my dark secret. If gas goes to $6, there goes my monthly pedicure.

I've heard a lot about skyrocketing food cost in our area and I have noticed some difference, Since I buy bulk ingrediants and cook from scratch, put in a large garden, and we have grapes, gooseberries, blackberries, ground cherries, dewberries, strawberries, rasberries, cherry trees,  lots of mature walnut and hickory trees this hasn't hit us as hard.  We also know people who call because they don't want to fool with picking their apples or pears so fruits and juices are not a problem.  I ussually thank them eith jelly or preserves or a pie.  I have laying hens for eggs & I have chicks that will be raised as meat hens.  I also do a lot of foraging which I love to do. Plus we have a stocked lake.

We also buy raw milk, and as it comes from pastured cows, I don't see it going up til maybe the fall.  From that I also make my butter, sour cream etc. We already have a meatless meal at least one time a week.  

I don't know what the future has in store, but I do encourage you to become as self-sufficiant as you can now.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 04-26-2011 8:12 PM In reply to

Well, it's already jumped over $4 per gallon here.

We're already doing some meatless meals because of the cost of meat.  I think we're going to have to take another look at our driving habits. (perhaps DH will need to ride his bike more).  I may be doing more online buying of some things; some places still have free delivery if you purchase a certain amount. 

I heard today that city bus ridership is up about 5%.   And DH, who's involved with youth sports, is hearing about leagues in which  parents  are balking at schedules or  that involve any kind of travel.

• 04-26-2011 8:39 PM In reply to

Self sufficiency is great especially if you have some land and can have animals.  Living in a small apt in the city limits, we're trying to grow a container garden of tomatoes, cukes, and green peppers and chives.  Tomatoes and peppers are just too high priced most of the time now (except for the farmers market).  I won't grow any food in our yard because the neighbors sewage leaked throughout their and our yard and had to be dug up and the pipes replaced.  Of course, the landlord didn't haul away the contaminated earth, just recovered the ditch with it. 

If the tomatoes do well, I'm going to try my hand at canning them this year.  Just small batches at a time.  I don't like the tomatoes at the farmers market too well.  The one lady who had big boys doesn't sell anymore.  There are less than half a dozen vendors and only a couple sell tomatoes.  Wish I lived near a bigger city with a good farmers market!

• 04-26-2011 8:48 PM In reply to

Buying online has helped some too.  It's useless to hunt for some things here as there's just not enough variety of stores, so shopping online can save a lot of time and money running around and wasting gas.  I bought cases of 24 cans of friskies at Amazon on subscription for about .40/can before taxes with free s/h.  That's just a couple of cents per can cheaper than walmart, but sure does save wear and tear on us hauling all those cans from the store to home.  :)  

• 04-26-2011 8:53 PM In reply to

I'm cutting back from 1 weekly trip 'to town' back to once every 2 weeks.  That will be tough because I live in the boonies and need to go to a decent library and I like to thrift shop even if I don't buy.  I've already put a new, bigger, sheet of paper (well..reused envelope) on the fridge for my lists of things to get when I'm in town.  If possible, I'll get into town for work and can sneak off to a grocery store or library.  I drive my own car for work but can at least take the mileage allowance off my taxes.

Even less meat will be eaten.

And, I'm debating about whether to buy a fishing license.  It's a 10 mile trip to the fishing hole or the lake and I don't think I'll make that back in fish/meat savings.  Even in my fairly fuel efficient car, it adds 4$ per trip to get to the lake and home.  I'd ride a bike but the entire route home from the lake is uphill and I'm not a happy camper when I finally get home...I'm a hot sweaty angry camper.

more gardening but only with seeds from last year and my own compost as fertilizer.

I've started baking my own bread again and built a solar cooker last weekend so will be experimenting with only using electricity for fans at night in July and August. 

I've cut so much already but with no raise for the last few years and the cost of gas and food going up, I guess the cutting will continue.

MIGHT get rid of the landline phone. 

• 04-26-2011 8:56 PM In reply to

want to faint dad paid 4.69 in california and we got to az now its to 3.99 for diesal yesterday in az. we are now in az you want to faint go to california cost there is really bad oregan is ok but everywhere is bad....oh the roads sucked all the way down from washington to az. thatss bad on your tires.

• 04-26-2011 9:06 PM In reply to

We've already cut back our meat consumption a lot with most of it going twice as far as it used to and enjoying more meatless meals.  I could cut that back even more, but I'd have to be careful how I did it.  DH & DD have also cut back on cereal consumption as long as other options are available.  And DH has really cut back on his non-water liquids so I can't really complain about $10/month when it used to be $15/week (often more!).

I've cut my showers down from a luxious 15 minutes to 5; it's not much, but I know that the gallons add up so it's better for the environment and my water bill.

I think the next thing to go for us, or at minimum to seriously cut back on, is dish t.v.  We are big t.v. people around here.  We don't go out much (dinner, movies, or otherwise) and we don't rent movies; I think we are now spending only around $20 a month on "entertainment" if you don't count the t.v.  We've only eaten out once in the past 2 months and that was a $12 pizza for mine and DH's anniversary last week!  LOL

DD and I may give up Fall season soccer (she plays; I coach).  Even with local teams and practicing close-by we still have the fee ($55/season), gear ($50/year max), and the 50-mile round-trip commute once a week for games.  The last part is where it really kills us b/c that 50 miles done every week for 7-8 weeks adds up to a full tank (or more) of gas and if gas was $5/gallon then it would be another $80 out.  Also, the fee is probably going to go up in the Fall.  It tends to raise about $5 every 2-3 seasons.  We have really stretched to make Spring soccer happen and she does Girl Scouts, too, and I had NO IDEA that GS would cost so much -- rediculous at times.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 04-26-2011 9:32 PM In reply to

LOL at the hot sweaty angry camper!  We live surrounded by big hills here too.  The town was built on them.  My dad said they used to close off main street and let the kids sled down it.  That was in the '20s and '30s.   

I know what you mean about something not being cost effective--like the fishing.  I didn't get to do any container gardening last year due to health problems, but the year before I bought 2 huge bags of soil and that came to about $20!  I will definitely be reusing that soil with the bag I bought last year!  I'll redistribute some of the old soil into some as yet unused containers and mix in the new soil.  Otherwise, it would absolutely not be cost effective to have to buy 2 or 3 of the bags of soil every year.  We had seeds left over from the last few years for cukes and chives and pumpkin (never grew any yet), but I did buy some green pepper seeds, roma seeds, and big boy seeds.  Three years ago, I got 3 huge round planters and one square planter for well under $5 each (and had a $5 off coupon), and Dollar General had some long boxes on clearance for .70 each, so I got two of them. 

I'll start (some day!  I've been saying this for a while now and need to get it done!) baking wheat bread to replace or supplement the bread we buy.  I have a great crusty wheat roll batter recipe that we all love and may try a loaf with it.  Also have a schoolhouse wheat roll recipe (Gayla's?) that can also be used in a loaf. 

One thing I'd like to buy is a solar lamp.  I just replaced 3 of our flashlights (some were falling apart anyway) with solar flashlights with cell battery backups and they've done really well so far.  A solar lamp would be great during an outage.  They're $15 at amazon and twice I've tried to order and took too long trying to decide something else to buy with it for the free shipping and both times they went out of stock!  Ugh!  I'm ready next time though!  LOL!  It will be great not having to buy batteries 2 to 3 times per year for the flashlight!  And these charge by lamplight or by hanging them in the window with the solar panel pointing outward. 

We try to cut some electricity, but have to run the air as I have chronic sinus troubles and asthma and we have lots of humidity here year 'round. 

• 04-26-2011 10:37 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

LindaC:
    I will definitely be reusing that soil with the bag I bought last year!  I'll redistribute some of the old soil into some as yet unused containers and mix in the new soil. 

Throw some worms in the soil.  Works wonders in keeping it fertilized.  Cheap fix.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
Page 1 of 4 (36 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us