Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

7 Recipes for leftover Ham...add some of your own!

Last post Mon, May 9 2011 11:31 PM by eyah. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 23 2011 6:34 PM

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

7 Recipes for leftover Ham...add some of your own!

http://www.5dollardinners.com/2011/04/7-recipes-leftover-ham-archives.html

timely post from the 5 dollar dinner blog...leftover ham recipes....add your favourite!  ham doesn't last long here lol...sandwiches, fried, in a quiche or in mac and cheese are the most favourite.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Apr 23 2011 7:44 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: 7 Recipes for leftover Ham...add some of your own!

Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and great northern beans, ham in green beans, ham sandwiches, boil the ham bone and add potatoes, ham in split pea soup, ham in baked beans. I am sure there are more but these are my favorites, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, Apr 25 2011 7:38 AM In reply to

My family likes it chopped up in scalloped potatoes too.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Mon, Apr 25 2011 7:44 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I searched recpes to make your own deviled ham for sandwiches. I may try it if I can save enough ham, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, Apr 25 2011 11:38 AM In reply to

The classic award winner that I'm shocked to not see listed: SPLIT PEA SOUP!!! Yum!!! I used my ham bone for gravy this time instead and now am craving split pea but will do a vegetarian version this week. Thanks for the link, fun stuff!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Apr 25 2011 12:19 PM In reply to

• Jen10
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 25 2011
    • Maine
    • Posts 6

Leftover ham is a treat...I make small cubes to add to fried rice with whatever fresh veg I happen to have and some frozen peas and sometimes cooked egg sliced thin. It's great to have around for grilled cheese and ham, western omelets, any kind of bean soup. I have some 13 bean soup going right now with the end of a ham.  Having ham several days in a row can be unpopular in my family, so if I cook a big ham I'll usually have one leftover meal then will seal up a few chunks to stash in the freezer, to deal with later on in a casserole or soup.  My grandmother used to make ham and pickle salad sandwiches, ham chopped very fine with sweet relish and a little mayo.  Pretty tasty, I've also made it with dill relish and without the mayonnaise, but of couse the other is the taste of my childhood so that is what I prefer.

• Tue, Apr 26 2011 12:12 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

no one likes split pea soup here but me.  normally get toupie hams no bones.   if I ground it up I would get in trouble.  my guy likes his ham sandwiches. thick slabs of in buns. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Apr 26 2011 3:37 AM In reply to

Jen, your Gram's ham and pickle sandwiches sound like soul comfort food and brought joy to my heart to read about... Maybe I'm a total sap dude tonight or maybe I just know the sentiment of soul comfort food. Smile. Maybe I'll try this idea some time! What kind of bread did she serve with it? what about spread - mayo? It sounds like a nice potatoe or sweet Hawaiian bread or rolls would pair nice..

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Apr 26 2011 11:21 AM In reply to

• Jen10
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 25 2011
    • Maine
    • Posts 6

My gram used crusty light sandwich rolls (not sure what they are called, but center was light and slightly chewy, not dense like a club roll or sourdough roll), with a little bit of mayo. The idea of using potato rolls or sweet rolls sounds good to me too, though!!  Just thinking about it makes me hungry, think I'll have to work this into my menu soon...

• Mon, May 2 2011 10:15 AM In reply to

• MEL
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 11 2007
    • ILLINOIS
    • Posts 18

my favorite is this recipe  good on a cold day

country scalloped potatoes and ham

1 lb ham-chopped

8 potatoes-thin sliced

1 onion-chopped

1 pkg country gravy mix

1 can cream of mushroom soup

2 c water

2 c shredded cheddar cheese (added in the last 30 minutes of cooking)

cook in crock pot on low for 5-6 hours or in dutch oven for about 2 hours

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us