Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Hot Breakfast Ideas

Last post 03-25-2011 9:40 PM by jennylyn. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-24-2011 1:17 PM

Hot Breakfast Ideas

I like to give the kids a hot breakfast, DS especially as he is so busy all day, barely eats his lunch, and is famished by the time he gets home.  I feel like a good breakfast really helps get him through the day.  I rarely do cold cereal unless we are really pressed for time.

The mornings are often a rush, getting the 3 kids out the door for the day.  But that hot, filling breakfast is really important to me.  Any ideas to make this easier?  I freeze pancakes when I make them.  Often do homemade toast with eggs or hot cereal.  I make breakfast burritos for the freezer so I can do a quick heat up in the microwave.

But I would love some new ideas that could be prepped at night and then maybe popped in the oven in the morning while everyone's getting dressed.  Or maybe some other things that could work well in the freezer.

Ideas??

• 03-24-2011 2:27 PM In reply to

Re: Hot Breakfast Ideas

I make muffins ahead of time, put them in the fridge and microwave them for breakfast.  They can also be frozen.  In addition to pancakes, waffles also freeze well.  What about some "make ahead, keep in the fridge overnight casseroles that you can put in the oven while everyone is dressing?  You could make what DH calls "quick starts".  Bascially they are homemade egg mcmuffins.  Fry or scramble some eggs, put them on english muffins.  You could add breakfast meat or cheese.  Whatever your family likes that will freeze well.  Wrap individually and freeze.  They are then popped in the microwave just like the burritos you are already making. 

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • 03-24-2011 3:56 PM In reply to

You could make up a couple of huge breakfast type casseroles (hashbrowns, cheese, eggs, milk, toast) bake them, cut them in serving sizes and freeze them for a quick warm up.  Also French toast freezes just as well as pancakes.  Quiche is also another idea.  I don't use a crust on mine, and add leftover veggies (cooked broccoli, asperagus, spinach are all good).  those freeze and reheat well too.  I used to have a recipe for "spinach brownies".  used spinach in an unsweetened cake like batter.  Had cheese in it too.  If I can find it I will post it for you.  Kids hear brownies and don't care if it has spinach in it, they still eat them. 

• 03-24-2011 4:01 PM In reply to

Jennylyn: My DS is one of those who gets upset if there isn't a hot breakfast.  However he can be content with oatmeal, cream of wheat/rice, malt o meal.

I do make muffins and just scramble up some eggs with cheese.  It's fast, easy, healthy and cheap.  I like to do a plain fruit salad or sliced melon, which is done the night before. 

If you like breakfast casseroles, you can portion those in muffin cups and bake.  They keep well in the fridge or freezer and you get a pretty good serving size for the kids.  DH has to have a couple though.

Sometimes, if I'm really sneaky I'll do a hot cocoa, tea or apple cider (Sugarfree) and add a muffin, warmed in the microwave, with a bowl of fruit or cold cereal.  He doesn't seem to mind that.

In the summer, DS will do cold type breakfasts.  I do smoothies.  I make the it with juice, frozen bananas, and some other frozen fruit.  I then supplement with toast/muffin and yogurt.  Some people put the yogurt in the smoothies, I have to be careful due to lactose intolerance.

• 03-24-2011 4:34 PM In reply to

Jennylynn, I can't remember if you are vegetarian? My DH makes sausage muffins with cheese and makes a dozen or so, wrapps in waxed paper and then he can pull out of the freezer and heat in the micro. Use english muffins, sausage (veggie?) and cheese. My boys (ages 4 and 6) like these as well.

Quiche cups, from the South Beach Diet cookbook are another fast breakfast for the freezer but not sure your kiddos like spinach? Eggs, spinach, diced onion and mushrooms, crumbled cooked bacon or sausage (can omit). Pour into muffin tins (greased well), bake until set. Freeze them individually for fast breakfasts. I bake about 2 dozen at at time and they barely last a week between DH and I. I can get by with one but DH needs 2-3 to fill him up.

I agree that cold cereal just doesn't last the whole morning so my kiddos need something else like yogurt, peanut butter on toast, cheese on toast. They love cold cereal so I do have that available but offer other things so they really have a full tummy in the mornings.

Good luck!

Erika
  • 03-24-2011 5:37 PM In reply to

Oatmeal (especially steel-cut) can be made overnight in the crockpot, or cooked ahead of time and spooned out into bowls for rewarming.  Though I just combine oats and water in a bowl and nuke for 1 1/2 minutes ... comes out fine.

• 03-24-2011 8:05 PM In reply to

So many great ideas thanks!!

I am vegetarian but love the idea of mini quiche or muffin size quiches.  DS would love them just eggs and cheese with toast.  I should try the egg sandwich thing again.  I did it once but DH didn't like the eggs after they were frozen and thawed~he said the texture wasn't good.

French toast reminds me of my mom's french toast casserole which would be good.  Also I love the idea of freezing individual portions.  Thanks so much!

• 03-24-2011 11:06 PM In reply to

You can make the oatmeal heartier by adding peanut butter, chopped nuts, raisins or other dried fruit. Also could make up some hambugers and heat up on toast or English in the morning. Grilled cheese you can heat up, too. My father used to love creamed codfish on toast and creamed chipped beef on toast and scrapple. A bit much for now, I think.

Would they like noodle casseroles?

• 03-24-2011 11:45 PM In reply to

Trying to make breakfast faster and easier, I have found that I can make a double batch of oatmeal and the next morning, we heat the leftovers in the microwave.  This is with regular oatmeal, I am not sure that quick cooking would come out as well. 

• 03-25-2011 4:44 AM In reply to

Jennylyn you are on a roll dear LOL love these posts asking for ideas. Great answers.

I am going to agree with oatmeal and whole grains as a great way to start the day. I also second smoothies, especially green smoothies which are delicious and jam packed nutritious. Fruit is a must! A filling breakfast that will keep the body satisfied, moving and grooving (energy levels, sound colon health, etc) for breakfast meal time will consist of a nice complex whole grain carb and some fruit. Breakfast is REALLY important and so is not over doing it or that can really weigh down the day and mood. A moderate pick me up with balanced nutrition will do the trick. I am an ex dancer - I will tell you a lot of dancers get long lasting energy by having a light meal of a complex carb and fruit. Fiber = filling. It's a well known nutritional tip and trick that works if balanced properly. Apples and bananas are two very cheap/economical fruits that are always accessible and good filler foods... you can buy in bulk for great prices and use daily. Shoot for pears too...and avocados - yum. Apples keep longer in fridge and bananas ripen slower when away from heat, direct light and also direct darkness. Dates = nature's candy and great source of kcals. Bread fruits, such as mangoes and papaya, are also a great option as they care more calorically dense. Juicy fruits contain more water content and trick the body to feel full due to excess water - juicy fruit is wonderful for dieters but not for filling fruit... stick with more calorically dense filling fruit if it's a main highlight of the meal or a stand alone snack.

I use to mix my whole grain oatmeal blend (a mix of various whole grains) with shredded carrots, raisins, agave nectar or raw honey and cinnamon... you should really try this one!

Need more protein? scrambled tofu or hardboiled or scrambled egg... and fruit and if you really need something more - you can make tofu or egg and veggie "hot pockets" with whole grain dough - use whole wheat, quoina, legume, etc. flour - it's so much healthier... mix in some ground flax seed for extra fiber. Make in bulk, freeze, reheat for breakfast or snacks.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us