Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Organic Food at the Dollar Store!

Last post Sat, Oct 22 2011 3:56 PM by MichaelJS. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 22 2011 7:49 PM

Organic Food at the Dollar Store!

I stopped into a chain dollar store to pick up some Easter basket goodies and figured I'd walk through the grocery section thinking "I'm sure they don't have any organic food, but I'll look anyway."  Imagine my surprise when I found Swanson Organic Beef Broth for $1.50 for 32 ounces (I got all 6). 

They also had vegetables and fruit - low and behold there were three decent heads of organic cauliflower for $1.25 each!  When I checked out, I mentioned to the cashier that I never expected to find organic food there.  She said they were trying something different and were going to wait and see how people reacted.  Sweet.  I'll be stopping in there more often!

Susan in MI

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Tue, Mar 22 2011 11:36 PM In reply to

Re: Organic Food at the Dollar Store!

Awesome I picked some apples from them once and onions I miss my dollar store now we got dollar tree nice but the dollar store I went to had my crackers and shampoo guess I live with ot and use sauve.

chrissanne
  • Wed, Mar 23 2011 5:00 AM In reply to

Sweet deal! Our local dollar stores don't carry produce - major bummer. I have seen some in Southern, CA that do with actually really fresh produce. Lucky them! They are actual dollar stores too meaning everything is 1 dollar, no gimmicks. Does yours have a large produce selection?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Mar 23 2011 6:26 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

That is a surprising find.

Is anyone else finding such things?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 9:45 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I get sea salt at our dollar store.  Dollar General carries our brand of coffee for about $3 less than the grocery stores.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Mar 23 2011 9:57 PM In reply to

I purchase alot of my produce from my 99 cents store not all organic but cheaper

16 oz bags of carrots (shredded, rounds, baby mini, or full size)

Broccoli

DOLE Lettuce

5 lbs of Potatoes white/ baby reds

Mini Bell Peppers

Hot Peppers 

Mushrooms

Onions

Garlic

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Sat, Oct 22 2011 3:56 PM In reply to

That IS an incredible deal!  I would gently urge just a touch of skepitcism; you could, for example, see if you can find out where the cauliflower was brought in from.  Presumably, at just $1.25 a head, they must have been produced in very large quantities, and not necessarily somewhere nearby.

If a product is Certified USDA Organic, it should have a company and/or supplier name attached to it if you feel like it's worth looking into it a bit more...

just my 2 cents--

Michael @ www.noflournosugardiet.org
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us