Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

I love our vet!!

Last post Sun, Apr 10 2011 9:48 AM by gayla50. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 15 2011 1:37 PM

I love our vet!!

As you all know, over the last several weeks we've spend quite a bit of money on our pets: 2 female cats spayed, shots brought up to date, etc.; 1 male cate neutered, shots up to date; 1 male dog-check up, shots, & heartworm treatment, etc. So far we've spent over $900 on our pets. And we are fortunate that, while quite expensive, considering over night stays, surgeries, meds, etc. the cost has been quite reasonable. Especially compared to what my sister has had to pay for her 2 dogs, in Columbus. There are many benefits to living in a rural area!! But the reasons why I love our vet so much are these:

1. They call the day before appts. with instructions, etc. & ask if we have any questions
    2. On the kitten's pre-op forms I filled out, I had requested that they be tested, like they're mama, for FeLV & FIV. Our vet explained that since their mama tested negative, while it's possible for the kittens to have these viruses, it was very rare. She suggested that we skip the tests, saving us $80 ($40 each) overall.
    3. I  had requested that any of the kittens retained baby teeth be removed, if needed, during surgery. Upon exam of the kittens, she told me that Clem (our male kitten) still had many baby teeth, and that cats rarely have issues with losing their baby teeth, etc. She felt this would be an unnecessary charge; saving us an additional $24 ($12 each)!!
    4. When we had Shadow in for his check up and he tested positive for heartworm, she & her staff were kind & caring as they consoled me, and told me that he would be just fine. Upon signing the release form for them to administer the treatment; she told me that in her professional opinion, there was no need for them to do any further blood testing or x-rays, as upon exam, Shadow's heart & lungs sounded fine. I'm sure advising me to decline these further diagnostic tests saved me well over $100 in additional charges (the heartworm treatment was $335).
    5. After Ninja was spayed, we got a phone call from the vet, checking up on Ninja. We were asked if we had concerns, etc.
    6. After Shadow came home from his heartworm treatment (he was hospitalized for 2 days), we got another follow up call, where we answered questions, and were given the opportunity to ask any questions.
    7. And yesterday morning, we got a call checking up on Dot & Clem. And again were given the opportunity to ask questions & voice concerns. She also reminded me that on April 4th, Shadow has his appt. for his 2nd heartworm treatment, and the kittens will get their booster 5-way shot, but that someone would call me closer to our appt. to confirm, etc.

Now I'm sure a lot of vet's & animal clinics call to confirm appts, and do follow up calls, but I'm not sure how many of them would talk their clients out of unnecessary charges. I'd like to think that they would, but I'm happy that our's is honest, caring, and understanding.

~*~Angie~*~

• Tue, Mar 15 2011 2:25 PM In reply to

Re: I love our vet!!

Wow, that is so great to hear, Angie! It's nice to know that some vets are still in the business of helping animals even if it means taking less money for it.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Mar 15 2011 4:38 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

that is a great vet!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, Mar 20 2011 10:49 PM In reply to

That is wonderful! It reminds me of my own vet, who offered me 6 free check-up visits, knowing I have no money and love my furries so much. They have a fund for poor folks at his hospital. For a friend who had to have her cat put down, they came to her house to give the injection. The charges were over $600 (she had owed some), and in two days she got a card of condolence and announcement that they were forgiving the entire amount.

This goes beyond just caring about the animals they help. They also obviously care about pet owners, too.

• Mon, Mar 21 2011 12:56 AM In reply to

Such good e-mails it the tops cool, my beagle is all well still just a little goofie of course thats a beagle he may be a dufus but he is funny and cute freaky freddy and he keeps hazel the cocker spienaial and half basset company and the weenie dog is my vets favorite he likes morgan alot because poor thing has a lot of emotion and totally wacked out for a weenior dog cindy says morgan is like her gets wack O at times..

And the vet gives me a break he lets me a break to pay off the bill he gives me an extension but I always pay it off...<3 my vet and the office crew

chrissanne
  • Sun, Apr 10 2011 9:48 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I love our vet too..  always checks on the animals and is very very kind .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us