Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Christmas for Dollar Stretchers

Last post Fri, Dec 21 2007 1:53 PM by Marlene Alexander. 94 replies.
Page 1 of 10 (95 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 4 2007 11:12 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Christmas for Dollar Stretchers

We have various discussions going for Christmas shopping and gift ideas. I think that means it's time we set our gift budgets and begin working on our lists.

• What is your budgeted amount to spend for Christmas?
    • What gifts do you you already have?
    • What are you planning to buy?

Let's share our festive efforts and encourage each other to have a fun, safe and frugal Christmas this year.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Nov 4 2007 11:26 AM In reply to

Re: Christmas for Dollar Stretchers

I already spent my budgeted amount for Christmas. Being on a very tight budget, due to living on student loans, I figured only about $20 per person. And really that's only my sis and her hubby since my parents do not need anything. I got my sis and hubby clothes that I found at Walmart that they can use. I plan on doing a fruit basket and a food basket so they have something to open. It will tap into food stamps (praying I still have when it comes time to do them up), but it's a small sacrifice compared to what they have given me this year!!

The way that my budget is going and continues to next year, going to suggest to family that we change things. My sister ran across different ways of doing a Christmas gift shopping. Example that I like: everything that is bought must come from a rummage sale or a thrift store. I always state in my gifts that they can be used so they do not have to worry about it and save money in that aspect.  

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Sun, Nov 4 2007 3:10 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I can't say what I'm buying anyone, because some of my family members lurk here, but I've bought one main gift and a few odds and ends so far. The big gift I bought using an existing gift certificate, so it didn't really cost me anything. I should have some more come in from rewards programs in time to use them for Christmas. Other than that, I'm expecting to spend $100 - $150 out of pocket, but may go over a bit because I have family in WA state that I never know what to get and sometimes I wind up spending more than I anticipate because I can't find anything else! (Did that make sense?)

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Nov 5 2007 8:42 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Pat,

Yes, that made sense.   :)

• Mon, Nov 5 2007 9:09 AM In reply to

ok so frank and i are getting a ps2 adn an xm thing (these are both free due franks "points" from upgrades and whatnot at work:) yay free stuff is good:)  the existing gamecube we have will be passed on to andrew and dakota for xmas, i can get used games for something like 3/20? or is it 5/20? i dont know i gotta go check the pawn shop and hollywood video for games, id like to get the kids each 2 games but i dont want to spend more then $7.50 per game  these are our "big" items this year

*andrew=pjs, a few cars, socks an undies, 1 outfit, slippers adn a 15 walmart gift cerfificate

*dakota=pjs, a few dolls (or doll clothes?) 1 outfit, socks an undies, slippers and a 15 walmart gift certificate

*frank= um um um um um im trying to find him some "new" (or at least new to him) shirt and pants

*me=dishes plus whatever frank feels i need (baking pans! mini loaf pans!, these are the only things i have asked for from him)----although i have been hinting at the bread machine, frank can get with his points

my mom, stepdad, and little sister=homemade pancake mix (think im going to do a cinamon walnut mix for them) home made cinnamon muffin mix, a jar of syrup? i dont know, i havent been able to find cinnamon syrup.......not sure how to make it either....adn possibly a dvd ( i can get disney dvds at the pawn shop 4/20 or 6.99 each)

my dad and stepmom, and whoever else they happen to have living in their house right now=blueberry pancake mix, blueberry oatmeal, blueberry syrup, and blueberry muffin mix

franks dad and step mom=copy everything for my dad and add a $25 home depot gift certificate (free from "points")

my grandma, aunt and uncle=homemade fudge (possibly divinity??? grammas diabetic and addicted to divinity go figure) blueberry oatmeal and blueberry pancake mix with blueberry syrup

franks gramma=blueberry oatmeal, cinnamon oatmeal, and some sort of cookies

and i think thats it im sure ive got other ideas, and other things aquired over the year (cheap/free/given to me an useless to me but useful for someone else)

shipping is going to be our big expense because we have to ship all gifts---i at least have the benefit of sending my grammas gift to my dads house and gramma will get it, saves me one set of postage

aiming to spend 175 or less (and as long as frank doesnt help too excessively, i can do it)

• Mon, Nov 5 2007 9:25 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Brandy:

Pat,

Yes, that made sense.   :)

Oh, good. Sometimes I make sense only to me. :)  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Mon, Nov 5 2007 9:38 AM In reply to

Pat:

sometimes i dont even do that!

• Mon, Nov 5 2007 9:40 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

latte4me2day:

Pat:

sometimes i dont even do that!

LOL! That's when I just give up.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Mon, Nov 5 2007 10:28 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Latte and Pat,

It's ok as long as you don't argue with yourself.

• Mon, Nov 5 2007 10:36 AM In reply to

only on days that end in y do i argue with myself

Page 1 of 10 (95 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us