the recipe I have used is:
2 Tablespoons Borax
2 Tablespoons table salt
1 cup warm water.
soak your wicks 24 hours, then let dry.
I also have found if you remelt your candle stubs to re-use, strain the wax. I do this by draping an old dryer sheet (used and gleaned from the laundry-mat garbage cans) over my molds and pouring the melted wax over this. (scraps of thread bare cotton tee-shirts also work well too) I then save the "straining" and use that for starting campfires come summer. For molds I re-use paper frozen juice concentrate cans, washed out, dried and I poke a hole in the bottom to put my wick in. Knot the wick on the outside of the can, and I tie it to a broken stick on top. The cans are re-used as many times as possible, then recycled as more fire starter.
I have an old dedicated coffee pot for melting wax, and a pan with a small rack in it that i put water in. This gives me a homemade water bath type of melter. rusted jar rings work great for the rack. Both of these were found in "free" boxes at yard sales.