Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Safe ways to stay warm if power goes out?

Last post Wed, Mar 14 2012 4:01 AM by Katarina. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 1 2011 3:07 PM In reply to

Re: Safe ways to stay warm if power goes out?

So far we're doing great.  We decided that for today everyone could watch t.v., hang out in their jammies, and do activities that suited them (reading for me, painting for DD).  I also have bread in the works.  We figured that if we do lose power then we'll do all the other stuff, like board games and whatnot, then.  I highly doubt we're going anywhere tomorrow.  A day like today is VERY rare for me so I've really enjoyed it!
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Tue, Feb 1 2011 4:03 PM In reply to

Treva, are you getting the ice or the snow?

Mimi, if you haven't had the fireplace inspected ... don't use it.  Too much danger if it is blocked.  

We have our fireplace, and DH brough in extra wood just in case.   If needed, we could close off the bedrooms and sleep in the living room. 

While our gas oven wouldn't work, we could light the burners with a match.   Old trick ... simmer a pot or 2 of water on the stove ... the heat and steam will raise temperatures a bit.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Tue, Feb 1 2011 5:37 PM In reply to

Ice, pure ice.  Sadly.  Supposedly tonight we'll snow to go on top of it.  We'll see.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Tue, Feb 1 2011 5:44 PM In reply to

It's currently -3 F here, and headed down - and it just started snowing again, although it's cold enough that it's just powder.  If my power goes out, I'll be camping in the kitchen with the stove - like LWolfT, I have a gas stove, which I could light with a match if I needed to.

• Tue, Feb 1 2011 5:55 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 4 2008
    • Posts 993

Thank you to everyone for your advice!  I definitely won't use the fireplace then, and I will use all the other ideas that I can! 

I WISH I had a gas stove! Mine's electric. :-(

Several years ago we had a terrible ice storm and I thought that I'd be okay because I have a gas furnace.  Unfortunately, it needs electricity to run the fan and without it there was no heat even though it is on my main floor!

I have well water, and also thought water would be fine, but that needs electricity for the pump!  So, at least now I know to prepare for that.  A few things I learned from that experience...If you have handwipes or hand disinfectant, use them instead of your precious water for hand washing.  Don't have pasta as part of your emergency food supply.  It uses way to much water as well! (You can always make a big batch before the storm though.)  If your home is still above freezing, you can fill a large container with snow or ice, let it melt, and then dump it all at once in the toilet so it will flush.  Sorry if that's TMI, but these are issues you face when the power is out for a long, long time!

A few good layering hints I just remembered.  First, don't wear things that are too tight or it will reduce your circulation and make you colder.  Cotton against your skin absorbs moisture that would otherwise make you cold.  Polartec-like fleece can be especially warm, so if you have it in the form of a top or blanket, use it!  The air pocket between the layers helps keep you warm, so that's another reason for layering instead of just wearing one heavy item. Wear a warm hat or hood since most heat is lost through the head.  Mittens are warmer than gloves because your fingers can warm each other up. (Since I just remembered that and don't own any, maybe I'll wear my potholders. Smile) I just Googled layering tips because I know there are more, and it came back with fashion tips. LOL! I don't think my hints would qualify as good fashion advice!

Anything we can do to improve our circulation can help.  Move around as much as possible (but try to avoid sweating since that will just cool you down again), eat things that are good for circulation like garlic and hot peppers.  I have heard conflicting things about alcohol, so I don't know if that's a good idea or not.  It certainly is warming, but I think I remember hearing that your extremities get colder.  Okay, I just found the info.  It thins the blood and so is not a good idea.  Here are some other good hints on Hypothermia. http://www.essortment.com/all/warningsignsof_rhjt.htm

When people mentioned camping, it reminded me that putting the blanket over your head (with a little air hole) helps trap your warm breath and keeps you warmer.

Another great thing to do if you have a gas stove or it sounds like even multiple candles grouped together is to heat up water and put it into empty plastic bottles to use as hot water bottles.  (Heat, but don't boil the water or it will melt the plastic and burn you.)

Round two just started here.  I hope that this storm will be historic simply for the number of states, not the amount of damage or length of time power is out! 

For those of you getting heavy ice like we are, be extra careful of falling trees and power lines.  If you have a part of the house that is farther away from tree limbs, I'd sleep there.  The sound of those cracking and crashing trees is something I'll always remember.  I pray this one won't come close to being that bad!

Praying for all of you!!!  Thank you so much for your help!!!

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • Tue, Feb 1 2011 6:02 PM In reply to

Just to add to one point:  alcohol improves your circulation, and makes you feel warmer - but it's an illusion.  Don't drink alcohol when you're cold.  You can, however, use it if you need antiseptic and have nothing else, especially colorless liquors like vodka.
  • Tue, Feb 1 2011 6:05 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 993

Unless the sun is beating down and bringing in heat that way, it's usually better to keep your drapes closed in order to retain more heat.

Ugh the lights just flickered! Tongue Tied

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • Tue, Feb 1 2011 6:12 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 993

Thank you for clarifying that about alcohol Karenteacher!

• Tue, Feb 1 2011 7:24 PM In reply to

Guess grabbing my two weenier dogs throw on long johns and wooly socks and a down comforter won't work but if its minus 0 yeah grab the weenie dogs and dive for the bed and we all get warm.

• Tue, Feb 1 2011 7:27 PM In reply to

For the sake of joking yes we have a kit and two surival type gear thins we have A newly place insert in the fire place and way to many oil and gas lamps around since I moved home some of my estate is here with mom and dads slowly going but if weather is really bad out side we all hit the dads 5th wheel use to we all hid in mine dad liked my 5th wheel he bought a new one 7 years ago and mine got sold along with the rust bucket truck.

Page 2 of 4 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us