Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Turkey

Last post Thu, Nov 17 2011 8:43 PM by sissy. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 27 2010 10:22 AM

• Roy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 26 2010
    • Virginia Beach, VA
    • Posts 9

Turkey

I did a 6 pound bone in breast in a 6 quart Rival. Used a rub I thought I'd like. Warmed cans of cream of chicken, mushroom and celery soups along with a 4 oz. can of mushrooms on the cook top until they blended then poured it over the breast down bird and vegetables. I let it go until the internal temp made 170 then took it out and let it rest for 20 minutes or so.

The soups blended with the juices from the turkey and made a nice gravy. Everything was tender and delicious. 

• Mon, Dec 27 2010 10:37 AM In reply to

Re: Turkey

I've been doing my turkey breast for the last couple years in my crock-pot, too, and love it.  You don't get the crispy crust of an oven-cooked bird, but it comes out very moist and delicious, plus frees up your oven for the rest of the big meal. 

I hadn't thought of making a gravy with the turkey, though, thanks Roy.  What kind of vegetables did you cook yours with?  Liz.

• Mon, Dec 27 2010 10:58 PM In reply to

• Roy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 26 2010
    • Virginia Beach, VA
    • Posts 9

You're most welcome, Liz.

I used four small, unpeeled, diced red potatoes, two sliced carrots and about a half jar of pearl onions. There should have been a quarter teaspoon of garlic powder in there but I forgot it. 

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 12:42 AM In reply to

fffffffffffffffffffffooooooooooooooooodddd! yummy :)-

chrissanne
  • Wed, Nov 16 2011 5:39 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

sounds good .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Nov 16 2011 8:32 PM In reply to

TizzyLizzy:

I've been doing my turkey breast for the last couple years in my crock-pot, too, and love it.  You don't get the crispy crust of an oven-cooked bird, but it comes out very moist and delicious, plus frees up your oven for the rest of the big meal. 

I hadn't thought of making a gravy with the turkey, though, thanks Roy.  What kind of vegetables did you cook yours with?  Liz.

Hi lizzy I had my turkey with wild rice and cranberrie type stuffing but brocilie with it.. What type of veggies did you use...Stick out tongue

chrissanne
  • Thu, Nov 17 2011 4:55 PM In reply to

Sissy, I stuff the breast with bread dressing that has lots of celery and raisins in it.  Then I put celery stalks in the bottom of the crock-pot for a 'rack' to set the breast on.  I don't serve the celery stalks, they're mostly to keep the meat up out of any greasy drippings, but I've been known to eat them myself, lol.  I also like to sqeeze a lemon over the breast, then put the halves into the crock-pot with the celery and a small amount of chicken broth...Liz.
  • Thu, Nov 17 2011 8:43 PM In reply to

Thank you tizzy this sounds wonderful going to try something like this cindy did her wildrice and cranberries for stuffing in the breast part a dry run the day before turned out very good she used chicken broth I give yours a shot and see if the turns out well I got a breast that does need to be cooked thank you again.

chrissanne
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us