Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Creative ideas, No money for Christmas gifts

Last post Wed, Dec 22 2010 4:49 PM by aloha_from_cali. 16 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:31 PM In reply to

Re: Creative ideas, No money for Christmas gifts

If I absolutley had no money to spend, I'd do the following:

Repurpose some old flannel sheets into personalized bed pillow cases. Embroider the initials/name on the end

Make flannel sleep pants out of repurposed flannel sheets

Bake a favorite type of cookie for each and present them in a tin

Fill a holiday themed gift bag (I reuse these year after year) with personal care items such as tooth brush, shower gel, shave cream, razors, soap, shampoo, deodorant, lotion, lip balm

Depending upon how young the little ones are, I'd  contact my church/social service agency to see if a gift couldn't be donated somehowche

I'd post and check what's available thru Freecycle. I've given away tons, but also received some wanted items.

Good luck.

HTH

• Tue, Dec 21 2010 9:29 PM In reply to

My dd (12) said she would like coupons for things like "skipping one chore" or "15 more minutes of t.v. time", I would try making memories instead of focusing on the gifts. Baking together, making homemade pizza, helping at a homeless shelter, having family night with homemade popcorn, and a rented movie or board/card game. Also, you might just move the day you open presents. Explain to the older ones the situation and suggest that you have a special dinner and present opening day after you get paid. (one benefit of this is that you may be able to get the presents on clearance), check into church's as many have programs to help with situations such as yours, use freecycle or the free section of Craigslist. Praying for you and your family.

• Wed, Dec 22 2010 11:31 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

good ideas!

frankly older kids can work for their toys and if they have a bad attitude about it and bad grades to boot...I wouldn't be getting anything for them!  our student is a bit spoiled from his parents but he isn't allowed to work here but he does want too.  

my kids are getting nintendo ds lites this year but used!  all our game systems are older and bought cheap.  and this is a big year..not getting stuff like that next year.  when they are older and want more expensive stuff...will see!   ds wants exp lego sets but that is not going to happen.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Dec 22 2010 12:09 PM In reply to

Thanks for the ideas.  I will be baking cookies, breads for neighbors and friends.  I used my credit card and bought necessities and one fun thing for each, inexpensive things.  I bought watches for the older kids at Walmart, deodorant and underwear.  Maybe older son will be on time to classes from now on and smell good too!  Little kids, matchbox cars, cheap watches, chocolates, silly bands.  Most of them are getting, socks, underwear, deodorant, chapstick.  DH gets sweats and sweat shirts previously bought at discount store and socks.  the underwear comes later!  One son is getting a rip stick ,not a necessity but lots of outdoor fun.  Older son, I will order a part to fix his broken rip stick for his birthday in January and I will also pay for a tune up for his bike, both necessities for transportation. 

Another reason I am broke is that we have 3 of our 6 birthdays in November right after Halloween, and one on Jan 3. 

The credit card  has no interest until April and $15 cash back, it helps.  I have another refund coming in the mail and it will ALL go to the card.  Not bad

• Wed, Dec 22 2010 12:24 PM In reply to

I love these suggestions.  I would do a "fun"meal for Christmas, something like homemade pizza with soda and chips and dip.  I do bake and our tradition is holiday cookies with peppermint ice cream.

There are usually lots of good programs to watch on t.v. as well.  Or I would do a game day.  If you live in an area that has snow, you could go sledding and come home to hot cocoa.  With six boys, I would be looking for stuff to expend some energy.

My oldest DS would love a pajama day coupon.  This is where he gets to be in pj's all day doing what he wants and playing.  Another coupon could be being released from a chore that the child doesn't like doing. 

My DS and DD have asked about going caroling, as well.  Popcorn is cheap and filling and would be a good addition to either t.v., movies, or game day.

If you're religious you could go to church and then come home and have a birthday party for baby Jesus.

This might be the one Christmas that you're trying to replicate in future years.

Put a focus on the family and see how you can celebrate without spending additional funds. 

• Wed, Dec 22 2010 3:07 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

sounds like you did good Carmina!    what is a rip stick?

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Dec 22 2010 4:49 PM In reply to

Dear Carmina, I was sitting here really trying to figure out some perfect homemade gifts when I finally got to your post where you said you went ahead and just charged some things for your boys. I am so glad that your credit card has no interest until later-- it sounds like you did just perfect!! I agree with everyone else, having 6 boys must really be something. I bet it is never boring at your house!! :) Have a wonderful, wonderful Christmas!!
    SAHM to 2 toddlers and 2 cats! Happily married to my soul mate! How could life get any better!?!
Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us