Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The best way to learn

Last post 07-04-2012 11:02 AM by Anne Lyken-Garner. 15 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (16 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-15-2010 7:52 PM In reply to

Re: The best way to learn

I grew up in a home that taught about money so there were really no surprises.  When I went to college, I wasn't one of those pampered partiers where Mom and Dad bought everything.  My parents didn't even get me a meal plan but gave me an "allowance" each month.  I learned a lot and probably did better than those eating on the meal plan.  I actually think that was one of my healthiest points in life.  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 10-17-2011 5:03 AM In reply to

I just saw this thread, granted it's about a year old, but wanted to contribute. I havent read all the posts, just a few, so apologies if someone else mentioned this.

What caught me by surprise the most, financially, is that you don't just purchase a used car, and start driving it just because you have a license to. I had no idea about vehicle registration or inspections, let alone property tax/title/license plates when you make the purchase. Not only the cost involved in that but the process was a surprise for me. The scariest part is not knowing who to ask to find out about these processes.

I was raised by an alcoholic mother and left home as soon as I graduated high school and literally put myself in a position to sink or swim. I had no idea what was involved in getting an apartment, utilities, etc.  I thought you just moved in and paid rent. heh

Another thing that caught me by surprise was filing an income tax return. Had no clue what to do or where to go. It is common sense now, but in the pre-google pre-internet days, and growing up as I did, I had no way of knowing about this. How I found out was I heard people at the factory where I worked talking about their tax refunds and I asked about it.

Going to read the other posts now.. so glad I found this thread!

• 10-17-2011 12:38 PM In reply to

Good time to bump this up!

It's hard to think back that far.  I was pretty much a planner from the time I was born so I had far fewer surprises than most of my friends.  My mother took me shopping and taught me how to read labels, compare prices, etc.  She and my grammas taught me to cook from scratch and when to know that  a mix was cheaper or better.  I learned to put on a sweater before turning up the heat.

But one thing no one mentioned and I missed was "first, last and deposit"!!!  I didn't know I needed basically three months rent and a few hundred more for utilities to move into an apartment.   That was a surprise. 

• 10-24-2011 7:36 PM In reply to

Is to take a list with you to go food shopping no problem then a papper clip to hold the coupon ok got it down to the nitty gritty ..

Well when done cross out the list of the food that I got done puting into the cart and mark off then get the coupon from the back to the front so I donnot forget to give to mom after this way I did for thirty years ..

Well mom gets alot of crap off the list saying oh this is for last time I forgot ahhh ha mom and what else we get off the list we forgot last year well to find out she has been doing that and parents gripe is money between dad and mom they are not rich what so ever but they worked thier butts off and they tell me oh we forgot its on last month list well if they grip about money and say oh forgot stick to the list lady I don't want to hear about it we got it last year oh forgot this a month ago and it adds to much money more then what we are to blow and I am going to learn to open my big mouth and let her know next month yeah right I say that every month and yes its now getting really old real quick.

• 06-26-2012 7:57 AM In reply to

I know, Maggie. I was the same. I learned out of necessity because we lived in poverty. However, it was a big shock when I moved for the first time. And when I moved to England, where you pay car tax, road tax, council tax are requested to do a car service each year etc, etc, I found living very expensive indeed. Thankfully, we have a comfortable life now. But I want to teach my kids the same things about shopping and living frugally. I think its' the best way.
    Anne's the author of How To Spend Less and How to Teach Kids to Be Responsible Adults. She blogs on http://getconfidence.net and http:ourdiyprojects.net
  • 07-04-2012 11:02 AM In reply to

Another good idea is to go shopping just when the store is about to be closed. Local shops are selling off things that will go bad if they hang on to them. You can get lots of fruit and vegetables for half the cost like this. A friend of mine does all her shopping like this. She also buys meat like this and then freeze them until she's ready to use them. I do this also. Join a mystery shopping group and get paid to shop and even get your money back (which you spend on items you need). Every little earner helps. Get samples instead of buying make-up. Stores are always offering samples and they usually give out their best stuff to keep you coming back. I wrote a book called, How To Spend Less. You'll find it remarkably useful. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-To-Spend-Less-ebook/dp/B005HAKGNE/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2
    Anne's the author of How To Spend Less and How to Teach Kids to Be Responsible Adults. She blogs on http://getconfidence.net and http:ourdiyprojects.net
Page 2 of 2 (16 items) < Previous 1 2
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us