Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Natural, Homemade Flea killer

Last post Sun, Nov 3 2013 12:39 AM by bekkahm. 47 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 8 2009 7:54 AM In reply to

Re: Natural, Homemade Flea killer

put them in the freezer over night.

• Wed, Sep 16 2009 10:03 PM In reply to

For the non carpeted rooms, mop w/ pine sol.

Do you own or rent? If you own it, what about pulling up the carpet and putting tile down?

It is much easier to get rid of fleas w/ no carpet.

Also, I've heard that you should not move furniture when you have a flea infestation as you might be putting the furniture over flea eggs.

Michelle

• Sun, Jul 25 2010 11:50 PM In reply to

• sean357
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 25 2010
    • Posts 3

Green rubbing alcohol

Menthol is included in many products for a variety of reasons. These include:As an antipruritic to reduce itching. Rubbing alcohol is recognized as a rubefacient because it evaporates quickly and is used to cool and soothe skin. It is, however, more widely used as an antiseptic for sterilizing surfaces or cleaning minor cuts or abrasions. Combimed with menthol in the " green " bottles, It makes for a excellent flea killer. Read bottle of human contact and intructions for using on the skin.

I mix 3 litters of green rubbing alcohol and 1 liter of water in a one gallon sprayer and spray everything that the flea's have come in contact with.  It kills the fleas by dehydrating them and the eggs. For all linen, dry in dryer set on hot for a cycle , then wash and dry again. add the alcohol to the wash water. Before you dry the 2nd time clean the lint catch and wash it with hot water. Stuffed animal can just take a cycle in the dryer once and that should be hot enought to kill off all the fleas and the eggs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleas

Humidity is critical to flea survival. Eggs need relative humidity of at least 70-75% to hatch, and larvae need at least 50% humidity to survive. In humid areas, about 20% of the eggs survive to adulthood; in arid areas, less than 5% complete the cycle.[23] Fleas thrive at higher temperatures, but need 70° to 90°F (21° to 32°C) to survive. Lower temperatures slow down or completely interrupt the flea life-cycle.

A combination of controlled humidity, temperature, and vacuuming should eliminate fleas from an environment, and altering even one of these environmental factors may be enough to drastically lower and eliminate an infestation.

Be sure to have the children not directly inhale fumes till rooms are dry ( 20-30 min) and also treat the flea bite asap.  

See also

If all else fails, call the orcan man. It's worth it.

Best of luck, I am doing this right now and I have my room window a/c set at 62, which is keeping them off me in here, but the house is bad and although the Green rubbing alcohol has worked twice before in the past, it depends on how bad the infestation is. I am calling the pest guy monday morning for a estimate. I a bad year and I have 4 dogs, 2 out and two in and the frontline is not working on them. 

cheers!

sean  

• Mon, Jul 26 2010 12:17 AM In reply to

• sean357
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3

thanks for that idea, i just emptied 2 salt shakers on the rug and mattress and floors. I have also put out a coffee size cup of slighty soapy water. I am hoping that the fleas will head for the water, since now that whole house it a salt flat, and then get caught in the soap and die. lol thanks.

Die in bubbles fleas!

• Mon, Jul 26 2010 11:16 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Let us know how it works for you!

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Jul 26 2010 2:25 PM In reply to

• sean357
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3

Pat  

The salt is working wonders! and the green alcohol is having more of an effect, I think that it was drying out too quickly. But together it is working very well, I had to write the last post from my pda, in bed in a 62 degree room, with a ring of salt around it and on the mattress. I put down the salt at the time that I read the post and it is 12 hrs later and I am now back on my pc. Now they are still here, but because of the menthoylated "green rubbing alcohol" cut 50/50 with water sprayed on my legs, the jump on and right back off. the menthoyl drive them mad and the salt and alcohol are drying them out, so there running to the water and drowing. . so ....WOOHOO!. Shock and awe you little beasts.

Note: Leave them clean NOT soapy water. The pans with just plain water had 10x more then the ones with soap. fleas cant swim and cant jump out of the water , and the soap acted as a repellent for them. So skip the soap and give plain water.

I went this morning and bought 5 more cans of table salt, Now my house is " heavily salted and drunk on G.R.A. I have a spray bottle in my room and i just keep using it as a repellent by spraying in on myself and the floor where I happen to be. All of my dogs are much less disturbed, having sprayed all 4.

I now have two large plastic plates in every room with 1 inch of water in them. and 2 pounds of salt on the floor over the whole three story house. attic to front door. Went throught with the G.R.A  straight from the bottle and filled the big sprayer with a gallon of 75/25 GRA and water and sprayed the whole house... with the addition of the salt the battle has tuened!   

Thank you, best of luck

cheers!

• Mon, Jul 26 2010 2:55 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Awesome!! Thanks for the update! I'm so glad it's working, it almost sounds like fun to wage war on them. Smile

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Jul 28 2010 9:53 PM In reply to

I believe it's safe for your girls to walk on the diatomaceous earth It is finely-ground shells. It shouldn't be inhaled or consumed, though.

• Wed, Jun 1 2011 12:18 PM In reply to

The heat of the lamp, not the light, will attract the fleas. Once they jump for the heat source, they fall into the soapy water and can not jump out. Works like a charm! I got rid of my clip on light, but I have not had a flea problem until recently. I am using the salt, will cross fingers it works!

Debbie

• Sun, Jun 5 2011 7:09 AM In reply to

This site looks like it's gonna be very helpful for people.

When I indict checkered emergent and entertaining essays or reports, I receive exciting essay editing services usually to block tough slips. I retrieve it is main aid, which would brush-off missteps and single the desirable manner of sketches.
Page 2 of 5 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us