Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Homemade Wrinke Releaser

Last post 11-17-2010 9:33 PM by cheapChic. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2010 4:13 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Homemade Wrinke Releaser

A reader has a question about making a subsitute for a Downy product. Can you help?

Do you know of a formula for making WRINKLE RELEASER for
    washed clothing, so that it does not have to be ironed?
    Downy makes one, but it is too expensive.
    SM

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Filed under:
  • 11-10-2010 5:42 PM In reply to

• MEL
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 10-11-2007
    • ILLINOIS
    • Posts 18

Re: Homemade Wrinke Releaser

i dont remember the ratio but i had a recipe once that just mixed fabric softner and water .you just have to be sure to dilute it enough so that it doesnt stain your clothes . if the wrinkles arent too bad just spray with plain water and smooth it out with your hands  

• 11-10-2010 7:20 PM In reply to

Re: Homemade Wrinke Releaser

I would like to know if there is such a thing!  It does seem to help not to overdo the detergent and to add a tiny amount of vinegar to the rinse-water.

• 11-14-2010 7:59 PM In reply to

Re: Homemade Wrinkle Releaser

I have a spray bottle, about a quart, and put 2 tablespoons of liquid fabric softener in it and fill the bottle with water and shake it well, until it is all mixed. I use warm water as it mixes better. If it is not all used, in time it does get kind of gunky looking. I just dump what is left, wash the bottle real well and start over. It does keep for several weeks. Of course, I could make less, but I  have been using the same dollar store container of fabric softener for at least four years, so do not really feel the need to be less frugal.

Before I did this, I used to hang wrinkled items in the bathroom while taking a shower. The steam would relax the wrinkles enough that I could smooth them with my hands.

The only time I use my iron is when I sew.

Sharon

• 11-17-2010 8:09 PM In reply to

Do you just spray them and hang them up?

• 11-17-2010 9:25 PM In reply to

I usually smooth the wrinkles with my hands while they are on a hanger. However, I have been known to put on a pair of pants of a shirt that I somehow had hung with a sleeve or pant leg turned partially inside, and I sprayed while I was wearing it.

I had a box of things I was going to take to a consignment shop that were very wrinkled and made a solution with just a little bit of fabric softener in water and soaked the clothes for about ten minutes and then tossed them into the dryer for about ten minutes then hung on hangers to finish drying. The clothes were already clean, but had been packed for quite a while so I thought they might be a little musty, so the softener freshened the scent as well as helping the wrinkles relax. They came out quite smooth.

Sharon 

• 11-17-2010 9:33 PM In reply to

EOOOOWKAYYYY ok brandy I thought this had to do with the face to erase the wrinkles to release it by dring something ok my mind is somewhere else today...

The best bet I heard from a magazine some place donnot over load the dryer and if something is dry and wrinkeled well place a small washcloth that is wet in the dryer and set it at a temp that donnot kill the shirt or shirts and set for no more then 20 or maybe 30 mins I do it for 15 works for me. then hang the clothes up right away or fold with out laying them around allday.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us