Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Ideas for a Basket Filler

Last post Sat, Nov 6 2010 8:55 PM by sissy. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 1:57 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Ideas for a Basket Filler

This reader is filling a basket for a fund raiser. Can you help?

"We are doing a fund raiser basket party.Each member is to to a basket. I decided to do a dry goods food basket(pasta,sauce,beans,canned meat,tea, cookies, noodles, peanut butter,jelly,crackers,cereal,hot chocolate,etc).Since times are hard for some families I thought this was a good idea. Can you expand on this?

Thank You."

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 2:48 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Ideas for a Basket Filler

Envelope packets of dips and dressings, soup mixes, seasoning mixes for burgers and meatloaf. Herbs and Spices (standard stuff- nothing too exotic)
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 3:24 PM In reply to

Since everyone will be doing a dry basket a box of the little Swiss Miss hot chocolate,some cake mixes they should be on sale soon, jar of little midget pickles or some hamburger dill chip pickles since coffee is so high a small can of coffee. If someone wants to do a coffee basked they could do a small can or bag of coffee Dollar General carries a (12.7 fl.oz.) Belladonna syrup for coffee the only flavors they come in where I live are carmel,vanilla and used to carry hazelnut these are no-calorie and very tasty I have bought the vanilla haven't tried bought the carmel it's very good and I don't even care much for carmel a small bag of sugar or aftifical sweetner and a box of small cookies to go with it you should be able to do it all for around $10.00 the coffee syrups are only a dollar each.That's all I can think of for now.

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 10:09 PM In reply to

Brandy, your basket sounds just lovely. If you want to add a bit more, some trail mix or little boxes of raisins or little bags of nuts  might be a treat. But I think what you have already planned is more than enough.

(Sorry about the bold print - I just hit some button and it started)

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 10:33 PM In reply to

How about those mix's like jiffy mix or bisquick those are winners or if you get generic ones like that, that be great.. Jams from dollar tree and gravey mix's.

chrissanne
  • Thu, Nov 4 2010 7:48 AM In reply to

My daughter's elementary school did themed baskets like this for several years. Each classroom would make a basket to auction off at the yearly Fall Festival. Some of the themes were:

movie night, which had microwave popcorn, movie tickets, rental coupons, and an inexpensive family-friendly DVD.

beach party, which contained flip-flops, sand-castle toys, sunglasses, and a beach towel.

school days, which had school supplies, an apple for a teacher, etc.

candy lovers, which had candy and chocolates, of course!

coffee and tea lovers, which had coffees, creamers, syrups, a mug, and assorted teas.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Nov 4 2010 1:04 PM In reply to

• Thrifty1
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 28 2010
    • South Carolina
    • Posts 179

A soup basket is nice, with a pretty soup bowl, canned soups and saltine crackers. I made this for someone who was sick once and they loved it.

I love the "movie" baskets, too, with popcorn and "movie" candies that can be found at the dollar tree (Jr. Mints, Milk Duds, Cookie Dough Bites, etc.), a DVD or two or movie gift certificates. I see someone has mentioned that one already.

A "spaghetti night" basket is nice, too. You can add an inexpensive spaghetti spoon/fork, pastas, sauces, a small jar of parmesan cheese and put everything in a large colander.

When I once volunteered for the red cross, we went went to different businesses and asked them to make donations. We used the donations, including gift certificates, etc., to make all different types of baskets, including "men" baskets that included tune ups and oil changes, tools, etc. Women's baskets included beauty salon certificates, purses, umbrellas, etc., just all sorts of different things that we were albe to combine from different places.

Hope this helps.

• Thu, Nov 4 2010 9:07 PM In reply to

Ok ladies basket tissue fennamin stuff like for the once a month thingie soups small shampoo conditioners nice smellies maybe a candle wash clothes chocolet, tea,coffees and a coupons for certain cosmetics, deoderants and maybe sachets...

Coffee,tea,certain packaged snacks,candy,soups,mix like muffin or bisquick,or jiffy mix canned soup caned veggies or canned fruit,snack bars, cereal ,chips small marshmellow to go with hot chocolets or apple cider etc. etc. etc. you all catch the drift anything will do put in big basket fil out the gaps and wrap put a bigass bow on it and a pretty tag.

• Thu, Nov 4 2010 9:52 PM In reply to

• Thrifty1
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 28 2010
    • South Carolina
    • Posts 179

ROFL Cindy! Big Smile

Actually, Cindy's ideas made me think of a bathroom basket that all the stuff can be bought from the Dollar Tree. Buy a small wicker trash can (for the basket). Stuff bottom with balls of newspaper then line with a couple of hand towels and include toothpaste, deoderants, shampoo, lotion, soap, a couple of tea light candles and holders, etc.

• Fri, Nov 5 2010 10:25 PM In reply to

Cool now I know what to get my sister for her bathroom once she is settled in besides at christmas another present kitchen stuff ...

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us