Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Holiday Recipes and Entertaining

Last post Thu, Nov 18 2010 12:03 AM by MarthaMFI. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 28 2010 2:55 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Holiday Recipes and Entertaining

Gary and the bunch who work hard at The Dollar Stretcher to bring us frugal living tips and news are hard at work for the holidays. Our community is being asked to help them with creating a holiday guide with our best tips.

What are your holiday recipes that help you to maintain a budget?  How do you entertain frugally?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Oct 28 2010 3:34 PM In reply to

Re: Holiday Recipes and Entertaining

35 years ago when DH & I were poor struggling students, we still wanted our daughter to feel like she had a "Thanksgiving" meal.  The first year we baked a Cornish Game hen. One little hen. I have a picture of her at 2 years old "carrying the bird" to the table - with such a serious look on her face for this awesome responsibility. I made a batch of orange Jell-O in the glass sherbets from my grandmother, & a batch of yellow Jell-O in the glass sherbets I found at a thrift store that matched my mom's.  A can of spray whipped cream was optional, & as I recall, we also served mashed potatoes, stuffing & baked sweet potatoes (from a can), along with homemade pumpkin pie.I always saved a package of mellowcreme pumpkins from Halloween so we could place a pumpkin on top of a dollop of whipped cream on the pumpkin pie.  The meal was not expensive, & one Cornish game hen serves 2 adults, so freeing up a "drumstick" for a 2 year old was not an issue. I remember I had the Jell-O in the pantry, along with the potatoes, sweet potatoes & canned milk, & we used the pumpkin from the door step, so all I really had to buy extra was the hen, the whipped cream & a box of stuffing mix.  I stretched the stuffing mix by adding extra dried bread cubes. Total cost was less than $10.

In our house, it is still tradition to serve yellow Jell-O & orange Jell-O in the glass sherbets for Thanksgiving, red and green for Christmas, yellow and green for Easter. Separate colors in separate glass sherbets. Gelatin is an easy way to increase the "look" of plenty, & most kids like it.  It dresses up very nicely in a glass sherbet.  We have used tapioca pudding the same way.

• Wed, Nov 17 2010 12:43 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Are you entertaining for the holidays?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Nov 17 2010 2:41 PM In reply to

Brandy:
    What are your holiday recipes that help you to maintain a budget?  How do you entertain frugally?

By making things myself - it's amazing how much people appreciate homemade cornbread!

• Wed, Nov 17 2010 4:04 PM In reply to

If you are feeding a crowd, consider making your holiday meal potluck. It's expensive for one person to buy all the ingredients for the meal, but most people can contribute a dish or two for the big event. Remember that the holidays are being with friends and loved ones, and that's what really matters!

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Wed, Nov 17 2010 4:19 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I make homemade am surround with woman who can cook  .. this year I do the turkeys , hams and the chickens  ... 

I always make the stuffing... Dh wont eat anyone elses .. 

I buy every thing that on sale and that I have a coupon with ...

this week I am buying cream cheese  it on sale and I have a coupon ..

am trying to post all the recipes for Thanksgiving I can

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Nov 18 2010 12:03 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Gayla has lots of good points..  also that decorations/garnish can make a big difference in fancying things up!   a bit of paprika over mashed potatoes,  fluff papkin napkins in glasses...lots of things like the restaurants do that is not fuzzy or cost much.

Plus you can make lots of desserts that are not pricey just need a bit of imagination.   dip sugar cookies in choc,  coloured sugar.  shortbread with designs..

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us