Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Cooking for One

Last post Thu, Feb 27 2014 11:01 AM by Anna Marie. 31 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 21 2012 5:45 PM In reply to

Re: Cooking for One

karenteacher:
    I wrap my food closely in plastic wrap

That's a good idea, Karen!

Susan in MI

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Fri, Jun 29 2012 3:31 PM In reply to

Cooking for one turns out to be more preparation than cooking for me. I try to keep healthy things I like on hand, then find creative ways to put them together. My latest is a whole grain tortilla with a layer of brown rice then a layer of refried beans followed by sour cream, grated cheese, tomatoes and lettuce. This is an inexpensive quick meal I never get tired of.
  • Sun, Nov 11 2012 11:25 AM In reply to

• bug
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 8 2012
    • Posts 47

I usually like to cook, but not necessarily every day. I do as most people mentioned, when I cook, I'll freeze either a TV type dinner for myself or freeze half a casserole. I love my crockpot, so use that a lot. Soups are another favorite, and one pot meals. I think I've frozen almost everything!
  • Tue, Nov 13 2012 5:40 AM In reply to

bug:
    I think I've frozen almost everything!

Me too!  I was afraid to freeze potato soup but did it (thanks to suggestions here) and it turned out just fine.

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Wed, Nov 14 2012 5:34 PM In reply to

Leftovers. Cook meat plain then dress up differently with sauces, pasta, rice, condiments, etc. Buy spinach instead of lettuce. If you don't finish before it starts to droop, wilt in microwave, cool and freeze. Makes nice quickee or lasagna.

A lot freezes: peppers in strips, all bread products, milk, butter, shredded cheeses, cooked beans. Frozen veggies and marked down reduced meats stay good for long while. 

Buy family pack and separate 2-3 pieces of meats into separate baggies, place all in larger baggie and mark with permanent pen. 

Leftovers make best TV dinners or lunches at work. Add fruit & yogurt for balanced nutrition. Homemade has a lot less salt and actually contains meats and veggies. Most of the manufactured TV dinners are all rice or pasta with little nutritional value. 

Christine
  • Thu, Nov 15 2012 10:59 AM In reply to

Bernie:
    tortilla with a layer of brown rice then a layer of refried beans followed by sour cream, grated cheese, tomatoes and lettuce.

Yumm.  I used to drive my ex crazy by eating leftover Mexican for breakfast!

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:54 PM In reply to

The good thing about cooking for one is you can have anything you want anytime you want.
  • Thu, May 9 2013 1:26 AM In reply to

• Sea
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 24 2013
    • Posts 874

I don't cook at all, except to put vegetables and grains in the micro - maybe some micro-scrambled eggs, and that's about it. I don't really know how to cook and never was interested in it. I have heard that some people find it relaxing: because of eating disorder, it can panic me.

I am a great one for opening cartons and cans and doing vegetables and oatmeal.

Only recent exception is the slow-cooker someone gifted me with. I am learning to make soup in it, a big change for me.

• Wed, May 15 2013 10:45 AM In reply to

Sea:

I am a great one for opening cartons and cans and doing vegetables and oatmeal.

Only recent exception is the slow-cooker someone gifted me with. I am learning to make soup in it, a big change for me.

I've started using my slow cooker again.  Good way to use up the left over veggies from other meals for me.  What sorts of soups are you doing?

• Sat, Jun 29 2013 11:11 AM In reply to

for the first 5 years of our marriage we were alone so I had to teach my self to cook for just two of us.  it wasnt easy    you can't just cut alot of things in half .

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Page 3 of 4 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us