Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Assistance with a Sale

Last post Mon, Nov 1 2010 2:33 AM by jamas5. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 20 2010 5:03 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Assistance with a Sale

A reader has written in with a problem. She must sell some items but can not do this herself. Can you help her with ideas to consider?

I am retired and disabled. I have a perfect buying record on EBAY but am physically unable to 'sell' on ebay or in any capacity. I have moved into a very small living space and would like to sell most of my furniture, nice pictures, wall mirrors, very nice garage sale items,  some limited edition prints, few antiques. I just need someone to come take all of these items and sell them for me as I am unable to participate in the sale and have no relatives to help. Is there any one you could suggest I contact? I understand there would be a considerable fee.
    Carlene

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 11:55 PM In reply to

Re: Assistance with a Sale

Is the lady able to have a garage sale on the lawn of where she is living right now?  other option is to pay someone as she says to help her dispose of the items  such as 50/50 so that no theft goes on.

Sally

• Thu, Oct 21 2010 10:04 AM In reply to

There are small businesses that specialize in selling your things on eBay or other online businesses. Maybe she could look through her local phone directory to find such a place. Otherwise, she might consider contacting an estate sale auction house. They might be able to sell her extra things as well.

She might also post her items on Craigslist, stating in her ad that the buyer must be able to move the items without her help.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Oct 21 2010 9:57 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

slk2042:

She might also post her items on Craigslist, stating in her ad that the buyer must be able to move the items without her help.

I'd lean to that one myself.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Oct 21 2010 10:40 PM In reply to

There are people in this area who do that. I'd think putting an ad in the paper (preferably one with a lot of coverage, like a Pennysaver) might help. I guess she could also Google it. I wonder if there is a way to contact Ebay and ask them?

• Fri, Oct 22 2010 10:16 PM In reply to

Most cities have one or more estate sale agents, almost always family businesses.  Some will combine a small sale with one of their larger ones.  They may have a family member who will take on a small sale.  A second option is a trustworthy antiques dealer.  It's also possible, even fun,  to have a family member run your own private auction, listing items and minimum bids and sending the sheets to all local antique dealers and used furniture sellers with a final sale date, contact info, etc.  A second sheet with pickup dates, places, hours etc. should be made for winning bidders.

• Mon, Nov 1 2010 2:33 AM In reply to

• jamas5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 1 2010
    • Posts 2

Most auction houses and auctioneers will accept consignments and will also move the items (big and small) to a central location to be sold. Sometimes that location is their own auction building, a building they have rented to combine many individual owners' items, or they could have the auction at the owner's residence. Having been to many auctions, I feel an auction would be the best way to go to avoid headaches. Good luck.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us