Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Landlord Troubles

Last post Thu, Oct 14 2010 8:52 PM by cheapChic. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 13 2010 7:14 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Landlord Troubles

A reader writes in about trouble with her landlord. Can you help her?

" The Lying Landlord

I am in a unique situation. I pay a high monthly amount in rent $1900 for a plain 2b/2ba (I was desperate at the time) on time every time. The condo was kept clean. My landlord tells me in person that I am very nice and sweet. I was surprised I had been turned down for a few new homes until I found out he was giving bad references! One of the prospective realtors did not believe him and decided to check my home out. I feel my landlord is selfish and is sabotaging me so I can stay longer! What should I do?
    Lorrie"

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Oct 13 2010 7:34 PM In reply to

Re: Landlord Troubles

Seems to me if he is giving bad references and you can prove it you may be able to break the lease early but you will have to check the laws of the state you reside in. If not I would be sure to always keep my rent current and keep good records if he is doing you that way you may have trouble getting another place hope things get better for you.

• Wed, Oct 13 2010 9:56 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

you have rights that protect you from this ..call your local housing dept .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Oct 13 2010 10:46 PM In reply to

hmmmm sounds like the high rent is to pay his income that may pay for his high living,he has taking you for a ride bbreak the lease he sounds like bad news and if he keeps bashing you its verbal assult I sued an ex-brother inlaw for things like,verbal assult is to hurt you and emotionally hurt your reputation start keeping a record what he says to you and what about and what time of day and the year keep your openion on him out of the jerneal and feeling the way to get him on assult like this we got to keep your feelings out of the record that is kept and to get him is court if it comes down to it to break the lease and get out of there as soon as possible and quickly.

• Thu, Oct 14 2010 8:24 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

If he is making false statements to make you stay, that is liable and slander. Get your proof lined up in writing and go to the local police department and find out how to file charges. Then I would go back to every place I filled out an application and tell them what your landlord said and why.

I think Cheapchic is correct, he's afraid to lose your income.
    Brandy:
    My landlord tells me in person that I am very nice and sweet.
    That's nice of him to say but Given what he's doing to you, this translates to saying you're probably unsuspecting and won't push back. I doubt you're his first victim nor will you be his last.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Thu, Oct 14 2010 9:23 AM In reply to

In addition, I would take detailed pictures now and when you move out.  He is the type that will not want to give your deposit back.  Also, get record of all payments to proove a good payment history.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Thu, Oct 14 2010 9:34 AM In reply to

I would check your local laws; a friend of mine received poor references from an employer, found out about it, and, in checking the laws in her area, discovered it was illegal to make negative statements in a letter of reference.  This would, of course, vary from place to place, and also a job reference is a different situation - but you might find similar laws in your area.  And has already been mentioned - this is libel, and it is actionable.
  • Thu, Oct 14 2010 9:59 AM In reply to

What a terrible person! I agree with PP that she needs documentation. It's not enough to have a cashed check, he could hold it and cash it after the due date and say she paid late. She needs a receipt showing payment received and signed and dated by him. I agree that taking pictures or even having a neutral party walk through the apartment is a good idea. If he is slandering her character, who knows what he will say about the condition of the place.

As for a new place and references, if Lorrie has previous landlords, have them listed on the reference page. If 3 landlords give a good report and this guy gives a totally opposite report, it may raise a red flag like it did for a prospective realtor.

Lorrie does not say how long her lease is or how far into a lease she is. Contacting the housing authority may also help with this toxic situation. She may be taken advantage of (think extortion), especially if the rent is way too high for comparable condos.

Can she negotiate a lower rent? Or is it past that point?

Erika
  • Thu, Oct 14 2010 8:14 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

mamasjob:
    Lorrie does not say how long her lease is or how far into a lease she is.

Since she is applying for new homes, I would think her lease is up or close to it. I could be wrong, of course.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Oct 14 2010 8:52 PM In reply to

Thanks for making it more clear toni b.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us