Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Bed Bug Info for Travelers

Last post 09-26-2010 10:22 AM by Deborahmichelle. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-23-2010 2:52 PM

Bed Bug Info for Travelers

As most of you know, Bed Bugs have been in the news a lot lately. This is just a reminder to do your homework and be informed about this problem. It hit close to home for me because next month DH is driving to Montana to go hunting. I started looking up information about preventative measures for bed bugs.

There are two websites: BedBugReorts.com and BedBugRegistry.com which are helpful in letting you know what places have been hit with this problem. When you go to these sights, be warned that Bed Bugs are everywhere.

There is a lot of information out there and all kinds of suggestions on how to prevent bringing them home. What may seem like a hassle on a trip is well worth the time, effort and money compared to having your home fumigated.

Some suggestions are to bring a bare minimum or one change of clothes to the room and leave most of your luggage in the car. Throwing clothes in a hot dryer for 30 minutes can kill Bed Bugs. Know how, when and where to check for Bed Bugs ( not just the bed ).

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 09-23-2010 4:02 PM In reply to

Re: Bed Bug Info for Travelers

Dear All, Bedbugs can live for decades w/o food, in books, or any other furniture. They survive on blood that they had stored. When they bite, they insert an anesthetic so you don't feel the bite right away, but then it becomes paainful (to me, they are so itchy that teh scratching caused great poain. Bedbugs in another apt in my building had traveled to mine.). *** To kill bedbugs, you must wash fabrics in hot water, hottest available. As Toni says, the clothes dryer is also effective. EVERYTHING you use that is fabric has to be washed, & kept in a plastic bag when you take it off until you hit the laundry room/clotheswsher. You need a professional exterminator if you have bedbugs *** Bedbugs re no respecters of class. Fancy hotels have them as much as tenements. Yours in Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 09-23-2010 5:57 PM In reply to

Thanks for the info!   We have some traveling planned, and these things have me spooked.   I will be checking hotels against these sites!

• 09-23-2010 8:40 PM In reply to

Isn't this gross they are kind of hard to get rid of the way my grand mother use to do it she kill 10 a night she say with a flash lite in hand and the other was a hot poker thats the only way she killed them mom said me Im going okkkkk what ever happened to the right checmicals to kill those suckers still creeps me out thinking about this...

• 09-24-2010 8:00 AM In reply to

cheapChic:
    Im going okkkkk what ever happened to the right checmicals to kill those suckers

The right chemicals turned out to be DDT which was banned years ago because of the risks to the environment and people. Like cockroaches, they are quite resilient.

I think a combination of things has led to this resurgence. World-wide travel is more accessible for one thing. Housekeeping standards may play a part. A new generation of cleaning crews probably never heard of Bed Bugs until now. They may have noticed some tell-tale signs and never realized what it was. Then there's the old adage, where you see one, 100 more are hiding someplace else.

There is a natural powder that can be found in garden stores that kills them. Although it claims not to harm mammals, one still should take extra precautions using it. Its not all that expensive. DH plans to sprinkle it in the back of his SUV and in his luggage bags to kill whatever may get into the car.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 09-24-2010 7:55 PM In reply to

Toni B. thats not what I was trying to say- must have come out wrong sorry I looked at a web site soap and water kills them and a humidifiry takes moisture out of the air and wash clothes and bed sheets in hot water with soap ... soap clogs the pores on the bugs they breath threw thier skins soooo soap clogs them up and drowns them its on yahoo.com comments about it is at the end of yahoo new report on bed bugs elert.

• 09-26-2010 10:22 AM In reply to

Der All, Here's a NY Times article on the industry that caters to clients who need bedbugs eradicated. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/22/us/22bedbug.html?th&emc=th *** Yourrs in Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us