Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Reader needs advice: Affordable Attractive Document Storage

Last post Sun, Sep 12 2010 8:00 PM by slk2042. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 8 2010 11:43 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Reader needs advice: Affordable Attractive Document Storage

Dear Stretchers - Where can you purchase attractive & inexpensive storage to keep paper work which you can have in your living room or family room? I'd like to keep some of my records in wicker or wooden boxes, but they are outrageously expensive & some of the others are either flimsy or hideously ugly like the "bankers boxes." I'd like to put this paper work on large shelves out of the way, but accessible. Any ideas, would be greatly appreciated. Before you tell me, yes. I've purged all I can, but some I need to keep! CS

Any ideas?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:18 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Reader needs advice: Affordable Attractive Document Storage

We keep our paperwork in a plastic portable hanging file holder (11 1/2 high by 13 inches wide by 11 inches deep). Our system is set up for a year, separated by the month. We picked this method because in case of an emergency (fire or evacuation), we can grab the entire file by the handle and go.

We keep ours in a cupboard where its can't be seen however I have found that these files fit nicely in a wicker floor basket which you can find at garage sales or discount stores. I've placed folded crocheted blankets on the top so it looks like the basket is holding blankets. As an added bonus, my cats use it as a bed.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sun, Sep 12 2010 7:44 PM In reply to

• slccom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 21 2010
    • Posts 7

Use cardboard boxes an dput Contact paper on them. If you redecorate, just change out the paper.
  • Sun, Sep 12 2010 7:57 PM In reply to

go to a craft store pick up those stick it papper things cover a box and have stickers on it that goes with the decore mom did this with old wall papper to use it up she uses it for tax returns or old phots dating back turn of the centry stuff that her father had when he was young-or use plastic tub thing the color of you frontroom.

• Sun, Sep 12 2010 8:00 PM In reply to

If the paperwork is going to be on shelves out of the way, maybe put a tension rod across the top shelf, then shirring some pretty fabric across the rod to be a curtain that hangs the length of the shelving. That way the boxes aren't seen, and you can change out the fabric when you redecorate.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us