Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Leftover whey

Last post 10-17-2007 9:49 PM by Cinnamonhuskies. 14 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (15 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-16-2007 4:30 PM In reply to

Re: Leftover whey

I love it no matter what you put in it!  Chives sound wonderful, oh yes chips please...  : )

• 10-16-2007 4:31 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

I know what I'm having for dinner, anyway. Smile I might have something to go with it, maybe not.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 10-17-2007 9:11 PM In reply to

I have a wheat bread that uses whey.

Also,  I combine 2 quarts whey to 1 quart fresh warm goat's milk in a 3 gal crock, put muslin over the top and let sit for 24 hrs. Then strain the curd into cheesecloth and hang for 4-6 hrs. It turns out perfect cream cheese!

Otherwise the chickens get it.

I didn't care for yogurt cheese the time I made it. But I put flavorings like sugar and vanilla in my yogurt so that's probably why.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 10-17-2007 9:16 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

I didn't realize you could use it to make cheese. I wonder if it would be a good starter for yogurt, too. I used plain yogurt and it was good - I thought, anyway.  

Would you mind posting your wheat bread recipe that uses whey? I'd like to see it.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 10-17-2007 9:49 PM In reply to

OOPS the above recipe is 2 QTS warm goat milk and 1 QT whey!!

Here's some things from my cheese recipe booklets:

"Don't throw out that whey! Whey can be used in almost any recipe calling for sour milk or buttermilk. Use it in pancakes, muffins, breads, and salad dressings. It also makes excellent plant food. Or drink like lemonade by adding sweetener. "

Pizza Dough with whey-

3 - 3 1/2 C. flour

1 TB yeast

1/2 tsp salt

1 C. Warm whey ( 120-130 deg.F.)

2 TB oil

Cornmeal

In a large bowl combine 2 cups flour, yeast, and salt. Stir in whey and oil. Then stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. Cover, let rest on floured surface 10-15 min. Lightly oil 1 14"pan OR 2 12" pizza pans. Sprinkle with cornmeal. Shape dough into a ball and roll dough to fit pans. Top pizza as desired. Bake at 400 deg F. for 20-30 minutes.

WHEY BREAD-

4 C whey

2 TB honey

4 TB oil

1 PKG yeast ( 1 1/2 TB )

approx. 4 C flour ( white/wheat to liking)

Warm the whey, honey, and fat to almost body temp.. Stir in yeast. Add salt.Stir in enough flour to make a smooth dough then let rest a few minutes. Put in a greased, covered bowl and let rise until double. Punch down, rest, fill pans half full, rise again, bake one hour at 350-375 degrees F. "

The original recipe called for it to be started in the morning, and inished at 4 pm after only adding 1/2 the flour. I did not like it! It came alive and grew out of the bowl it was in before 4 pm!!! It works better if you treat it like a normal bread recipe.

Your yogurt cheese whey should work as a yogurt starter....all you need is the right bacterias to start yogurt.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 2 of 2 (15 items) < Previous 1 2
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us