Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How to Store Potatoes?

Last post Tue, Aug 31 2010 1:43 PM by suzin. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 23 2010 3:14 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

How to Store Potatoes?

From a reader:

What's the best way to store potatoes so they dont grow or get wimpy? Thank you

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Aug 23 2010 4:54 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: How to Store Potatoes?

I buy a small bag of white potatoes and store them in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator. They usually last about a month. I make sure to move them around and check for spoiled spots or mildew. I found that temperature in the refrigerator is consistent. I've tried other spots in my home but the temperature varies and causes spoilage.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Mon, Aug 23 2010 5:42 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I keep mine in a wire basket I keep in our root cellar the last a very long time

in the house again a wire basket and I keep in a cool dark place ..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Aug 31 2010 12:40 PM In reply to

I always store my potatoes in the crisper drawer of my fridge.  Keeps them fresher longer and there's no risk of those annoying little flies that sometimes hitch a ride home from the produce department.  I keep my onions in the same drawer.  If you're worried about odors, a box of baking soda takes care of that.

• Tue, Aug 31 2010 1:43 PM In reply to

• suzin
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 24 2007
    • Posts 244

I put them in a cardboard box, cover them and put the box in the coolest darkest place in our basement...the coolest, darkest place, in our basement is under a bed.  I watch them and if they start to get sprouts or wrinkly...I cook them and put them in a freezer container and freeze them.....they are sure handy that way to fry, put in soup, mash, etc....

Nebraska
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us