Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Stocking FOr winter

Last post Wed, Dec 1 2010 1:39 AM by zohnerfarms. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 19 2010 5:24 PM

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

Stocking FOr winter

DO you stock your pantry, fridge, or and freezer for winter? Do you like to have extra food in the house for the winter in case of bad weather? If you do when do you start buying? Just wondering.
  • Thu, Aug 19 2010 6:01 PM In reply to

Re: Stocking FOr winter

LOL !!!! My organized friend says that I shop like that all the time. However, you have to understand what it is like to be her friend..... . If there is snow on the ground she either picks up the phone or she emails me and says STAY HOME.  She is the type of person who would literally steal my car keys so that I can't go out in bad weather.

When it is hot weather .....like 90 degrees and hotter....she literally screams "Stay inside your house with the a/c and drink lots of water."

Why do I put up with her ? Because she is one of the very best friends you could ever want. She is 100% trustworthy and honest. She worries about me. ToniB says that my organized friend and my widowed friend are two of the best local friends a person could ever want.

So....I buy extras of things like meat on sale or veggies (frozen or canned) on sale. I stock up on canned food for Aurora. I am starting to stock up on Fresh Step for Aurora.

I try to buy Kleenex and the other brands on sale in the late summer/early fall. I watch the sales plus I use coupons for them. I go through a lot of them because I have sinus problems plus I cry a lot because of Mom.

I stock up on generic Tylenol also. I buy the big bottle of 500 tablets that are 500 mg. I used to get them at Harris Teeter and now I get them at WM because the price is better.I have them in lots of the rooms in the house. Please realize that you can't do things like that if you have small children in your house.

I keep at least 4 boxes of mac & cheese in the house for easy meals. I have a few packages of dry Knorr soup mix for quick meals. I plan to keep those frozen ham sandwiches that Mamasjob posted about.

• Thu, Aug 19 2010 6:24 PM In reply to

• AmyC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 24 2007
    • Posts 868

I definately stock up for winter.   When DH is employed (darn layoff!), hours are fewer in the winter.  I can alot of produce and also freeze a lot during the summer.  The fall sees the big case lot sale stock ups!

http://carneyexploits.blogspot.com

• Thu, Aug 19 2010 6:32 PM In reply to

In the winter I will keep 16 cans of our favorite items, 8 of lesser liked, 4 of used but not often items.  I let the stock die off in the summer.  I've started stocking again for the winter.  Canned items are our EZ meals.  If hubby and I get sick, the kids are old enough to pick of can of veggies and heat them.  They are also a nice back up for power failures.  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Thu, Aug 19 2010 7:37 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

We eat venison so fall is when we "stock up" in the meat department. We did a some freezing this year so, we have a start on winter food storage. Last year I did a lot of dehydrating but this year has been too humid. I may do some items in the fall.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Thu, Aug 19 2010 7:45 PM In reply to

Yes, I do stock up for winter because I hate shopping when we're having a blizzard outside.  I start in the summer with my garden, canning and freezing what I can.  I also start buying canned food again (I don't buy canned foods for the most part in the summer, no need to with fresh easily available) and in the fall I will make a run to my bison farmer and buy a bunch of meat to tide us over till spring.  

• Thu, Aug 19 2010 7:59 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... I live in AZ, no winter weather where I live. I stock up on things all year around. In September will start the sales for Labor Day and then sales for the holidays. We can grill all year around on the covered deck, so a back-up for any power outages. Quick meals are canned soup, baked/frozen rolls, meats pre-cooked and packaged.   

• Thu, Aug 19 2010 8:09 PM In reply to

Ahhhh kb9 oh rub it in buy the way my parents are that direction in the winters so I know how winters are and how it gets hot there also my parents are the snow birdies I go once in awhile...

I think maybe freeze stews like chic turkey or beef. those help in just in case days like blizzars and we keep the generader gassed up at all times you never know plus we keep the pantry filled up mom thinks there will be an armagedon thing goinging on when the lights go out...

• Thu, Aug 19 2010 9:27 PM In reply to

I keep reasonably stocked year round. I stock up when items are on sale. Even in winter here the roads are only really bad while the storm is going on and before the plows have been around, so there's no need to stockpile food because we can't get out. After a while living in our kind of weather you don't let the weather stop you from doing what you want unless it's really bad. The utilities are underground except in the older parts of town, so the power doesn't go out much. If it does go out in summer, we have a generator. If it goes out in winter, we'll just put the food on the back deck Big Smile

Jill

• Thu, Aug 19 2010 10:11 PM In reply to

• Becky
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 23 2007
    • Posts 574

I like to keep a stock on hand but since my husband was out of work for so long our surplus of canned goods, pasta and dry beans is all but depleted. I need to pick up two cases of green beans, a case of whole kernel corn, 2 or 3 cases of canned tomatoe products. I also need to replace my pinto beans, red beans, split peas and black eyed peas, and canned mushrooms, dried onion, and dried garlic.....I will be doing it within the next couple of months.

Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us