Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Cheap Date

Last post Sun, Dec 11 2011 8:13 PM by cheapChic. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 18 2010 1:33 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cheap Date

I rememer a time when calling someone a "cheap date" was not a positive statement. In today's society with costs sky rocketing and people struggling, is spending less on a date viewed more favorably?

Would you be a cheap date? Could you have fun on a cheap date?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Aug 18 2010 2:23 PM In reply to

Re: Cheap Date

When DH and I were dating 20 years ago, I purposefully tried to keep our dates frugal. We'd pack a picnic, walk on the beach, go to a carnival, or eat at Taco Bell. I knew he wasn't rich, and neither was I. I didn't want him to think I was "high maintenance."

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Wed, Aug 18 2010 6:37 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I think you need to be more creative with a frugal date.   There is still people out there who are "cheap" dates :)   I think it should be called frugal dates. 

dh and I kinda have frugal dates. still need babysitting so its harder.  but use movie and meal coupons for cheaper dates. we do like hanging out at home alone but that means getting rid of all kids and our homestay student bedroom is right under ours and he rarely leaves it!  when he is here.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Thu, Aug 19 2010 3:32 PM In reply to

Our favorite romantic times have always been things that we *did* together, instead of just going someplace to be entertained.

1) We love playing board and card games (our selection is more Settlers of Catan and much less Uno).We play with just each other or with my adult siblings.

2) Sometimes we bake cookies, or make up a HUGE batch of stovetop popcorn and watch old movies. We have a tradition of prefacing movies with our rendition of the 20th Century Fox introduction music, even if it's not a Fox movie.

3) Reading aloud to each other. We alternate who gets to choose books. We've shared many books this way: The Hobbit, Snowcrash, Cryptonomicon, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Atlas Shrugged. Often he'll read to me while I'm doing something fiddly, like sorting coupons, folding laundry, crocheting, or cooking.

4) We used to have a long commute together, and he used to take his camera along to take pictures of skyscapes. He gets really excited about skyscapes and I loved watching his enthusiasm. We have hundreds of stunning digital photos of interesting clouds, sunsets, rainbows, thunderstorms, bird flock formations, phases of the moon - you name it!

Like in all frugal activities, it sometimes takes more imagination to do things frugally, but how much more memorable and fun!

~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

• Thu, Aug 19 2010 8:17 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... one of our favorites is to go get an icecream cone and then window-shop. Great exercize, together time and see what things places are trying to sell for how much.

• Thu, Aug 19 2010 8:39 PM In reply to

Joyous:
    We have a tradition of prefacing movies with our rendition of the 20th Century Fox introduction music

So does our family! (But it's only for the 20th Century Fox movies.)

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Aug 19 2010 8:45 PM In reply to

Ok if I date I'd be happy to go for a sunday drive deep country here in washington the back roads those are fun have a picnic then go for a hike then go to mickie d's for a date the ride those I like you can take the memories with you but mickie d's leaves a bad taste in my mouth prefer a and w instead.

• Sat, Oct 2 2010 9:37 PM In reply to

My best friend who was a guy & I use to laugh at people who spent so much money doing things...

Love thift store shopping/Grab pizza for 2 for under $10.00 reading books while we ate & chatted!!

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Sat, Oct 2 2010 10:20 PM In reply to

I only had one date a couple years ago we are friends only but micky D's and a walk on the beach in tacoma on rustin way near where sissy lives its cool out there they also had summer time concerts out there.

• Thu, Oct 7 2010 8:40 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

it drives our kids nuts but he and I will get dressed in our fancy close and go to a small place he have coffee and maybe pie and I have a cup of hot tea . we sit a talk for about a hour ...  then we come home they are sure we have a deep dark secret , but that all it is .

really cheap nights when it nuts and we cant get a way I grad my water bottle he graps a thermos and we got up the mountain and watch the sun set or look at stars ....

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us