Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Electric skillet

Last post Thu, Oct 14 2010 3:14 PM by 3-dog family. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 16 2010 9:23 PM

Electric skillet

Hello, every good person here,

I need n electric skillet since the vintage Farberware my friend gave me finally pooped out after more than 40 years of use.

I went to WalMart and got a cheap one, will return it as it is unstable and when I first turned it on to season, the prong turned brown. I want to get another for making pancakes, sandwiches, eggs. There is a GE appliance in WalMart, heavier construction,  has plates for grilling, a griddle. It costs about $50.00.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to a good skillet? I am willing to pay more for an appliance which is safe, well construction and that will not give out after a few years. I am hypervigilant about fire. I'd like one with a top.

Thanks as always,

Seaturtle

• Mon, Aug 16 2010 9:43 PM In reply to

Re: Electric skillet

I think mine is by Presto. It is huge. Mom got it for us in 2003. It's big enough to do large meals in it. It may not be made anymore. Mom ordered it from JCP's catalog. It has a top.

The Vermont Country Store has a small electric skillet. I've also seen it in Taste of home's catalog. I think it has a top. 

I am now under orders from my organized friend to use my appliances and enjoy my kitchen. Apparently I have a kitchen to die for. Lucky me.....now that my counter tops are clear she's going to teach me how to make homemade pasta !!! I can't believe my incredible luck because I really do want to use my pasta machine.

• Mon, Aug 16 2010 9:50 PM In reply to

• Becky
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 23 2007
    • Posts 574

My sister has a WestBend that she has used for about 40 years..not sure if that brand is made anymore but it is worth a look.

• Mon, Aug 16 2010 10:07 PM In reply to

ge. product elecreic skillet or black and decker those are the only ones I used no problem from them and got a big grittel thats the grill thing like for pancakes and grill cheese or eggs on when company comes drag it out they are both good brands and hold your breath a couple of secounds and slowly release that showed help abit its not a cure all helps me out alot.

• Mon, Aug 16 2010 10:12 PM In reply to

Seaturtle, just a thought but have you asked a repair shop if they could find out what went wrong on your Faberware Skillet?  It could be a new thermostat is needed or a new prong  in which  case it could go on for another 40 yrs!!!   Black & decker is a useless brand as it has been taken over by a Chinese firm and is no longer top quality.  I would trust Hamilton Beach, Betty Crocker or GE brands myself.  Hugs Sally.

• Mon, Aug 16 2010 10:24 PM In reply to

Sallybabe, yes I tried that and even contacted Farberware. No dice, sadly. I was the heating element and prong and was throwing off sparks, then just stopped heating at all. I wish I could find another one just like it.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 12:17 AM In reply to

Maybe put out a message on Freecycle to see if anyone has one that they would consider giving to you free?  Other wise keep  a hold of the one you have and look in the thrift stores and garage sales to see if you could find another one.  Sally.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 1:54 AM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 23 2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

I've had wonderful luck with my West Bend electric skillet. It's at least 15 years old and still works as well as when I first got it.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 9:04 AM In reply to

I second the thrift store idea.  Ours here have loads of them, either from cleaning out grandma's place or newlyweds that didn't want the one they were given.  I'd go for an older model first, though, if I had a side-by-side choice...Liz.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 9:47 PM In reply to

hey sally I had my skiller 15 years of black and decker still running good betty crocker is the piece of garbage I had to throw it away thats how bad the wiring was.

chrissanne
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us