Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How to save water?

Last post Thu, Dec 18 2008 9:26 AM by Joyous. 54 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (55 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 21 2007 12:20 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

How to save water?

Member Mand, in her introduction, mentioned the drought Australia is in right now and since we're in one, too, it caught my attention.

It irks me that we can still water our lawns three times a week, while farmers are having to leave fields unplanted because they can't get enough water for them. Many people don't water their lawns that often (including me), because of that. Some people just go on watering like there was no drought at all, but that's another topic.

Since it's springtime in the northern hemisphere when we begin to plant and water, the topic seems especially appropriate. What ways can we save water at home?

One of the things I do is keep a bucket in the kitchen and dump ice left in glasses and leftover clean water of any sort. I keep a bowl under the faucet to catch water that would otherwise go down the drain. This is added to the bucket, too. When the bucket's full, I use it on the vegetable garden. I can't keep up with all the water demands that way, but it does help.

Another thing is to keep showers short, of course, but I wonder how many of us get wet, turn off the shower, soap up, then turn it back on? That saves a lot of water. Things like turning off the water when brushing your teeth, or not running the washer until you have a full load, are common, but maybe if we list everything we can think of, we can all learn to save water, drought or no drought. Water is money when you have to pay for it.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Sat, Apr 21 2007 1:32 PM In reply to

Re: How to save water?

I think we have gotten spoiled to think we are entitled to water on demand.  (I have to say I am the worst).  On a global note, the water remains on the planet....it just comes down someplace else, or goes into another aquifer.  We live in a kind of bubble and what is within it, stays within it.....there is no other place for it to go!!!  We just have to get smarter with our uses of it and use it more wisely.
    Lawns need one inch of water a week which can be done once a week.  Keeping it healthy will lessen the water need.  Farmers could use irrigation ditches, which don't waste water by evaporation.  Our foremothers didn't have running water, but used dishwater, washwater etc. to water rosebushes (we have all read about that) and kept a good, large garden too, without irrigation.  They just used their native "smarts".  While I don't advocate going back to the outhouse mentality, I think we can all think of ways to lessen our use of water.
    This reminds me of a story I just read somewhere about a nun who came back from service in Africa.  When queried about her showering habits, she stated she only had a little over  a cup of water in Africa to use for hygiene purposes, so she managed with that!!!
    Patrink 
  • Sat, Apr 21 2007 2:28 PM In reply to

Dear Patrink, In sunny California, we are in the midst of a drought that will force water rationing in our SUMMER -- Sept & Oct.  (Mark Twain famously said that he had never spent a colder winter than San Francisco in the summertime.)  Actually, the rationing may go on during the traditional summer months, too, as outside of the immediate region, climate follows the sets seasons in Northern CA where I live.

Folks here don't flush the toilet during rationing when it only holds "gray water" (urine).

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Sat, Apr 21 2007 6:59 PM In reply to

• helen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Posts 176

some tips:

change your shower heads to watersaver heads, and keep a bucket in the shower to catch some water for the garden.

If your washer has a hose to the sink (ie, not plumbed in) you can take the hose out for the final rinse and put it in a bucket.

put a brick or some large stones in the toilet cistern (so there is less water being flushed)

Work out how much lawn you NEED for the kids to play on and replace the rest with low-water groundcover plants, shrubs, and some mulch. I don't agree with just using pebbles as I think we need vegetation, but there are better things than lawn to grow.

We don't wash our car. I think it has been washed twice in the last year, while parked on the lawn. In some places it is banned altogether and carwash places with recycle systems are very popular.

-- and an aside: I heard a story on the radio a while ago about a local hospital's initiatives to save water: they were using disposable wipes instead of water and cloths to wash patients. This apalled me - what about the production costs of wipes, and the waste? Its just shifting from one problem to another (landfill). 

• Sat, Apr 21 2007 7:38 PM In reply to

I need to get even better at this, since our water rates are going up 27% next month... :(

Pat, like you, I have a pitcher next to the sink for leftover ice, coffee, etc. I empty the cats' water bowls in there too when I change their water.  That all goes on my indoor plants. I'll set up basins under the downspouts this spring to catch water .. that will help with the outdoor gardens. I should try the bucket in the shower trick ...

I am going to call the plumber to fix the upstairs toilet .. it's been running, and I know it's been using extra water. ...

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Sat, Apr 21 2007 8:23 PM In reply to

Dear Helen, You've come up with a number of fine tips to reduce water use.  In the toilet tank, pundits here say to fill a gallon jug with water & then put the cap back.  Then you put THIS into the toilet tank.  (Our pundits say that bricks disintegrate in water, leading to plumbing problems.)  Just my 2 cents.

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Sat, Apr 21 2007 8:33 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

LWolfT:

I'll set up basins under the downspouts this spring to catch water .. that will help with the outdoor gardens.

Does anyone, or has anyone ever, used rain barrels? (That might not be a great idea if it never rains!)

I've thought about using them before, but never have. You can buy heavy duty plastic ones with spigots and hose connectors. I found this: "1 inch of rain on a 1000 sq ft roof yields 625 gallons of water. To calculate the yield of your roof, multiply the square footage of your roof by 625 and divide by 1000."

I wonder if it might not be a wise move, even when it doesn't rain often. Even a quarter of an inch of rain should help, but I was thinking also of pouring the buckets of kitchen, shower and laundry water into a barrel with a hose connector. That would simplify the use of it. 

That may not be very frugal, though. Is there any other way to do this? Can you buy and install spigots or hose connectors on other things?  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Sat, Apr 21 2007 9:03 PM In reply to

Now I bet everyone will be LOL at me, but let me tell you how I always have enough water for a week's worth of drinking & cleaning.  Long ago & not all at once, I bought plastic gallon bottles that held spring or distilled water.  I haven't counted now, but I must have 20 of them (hidden all over my studio).  Although the brain is willing, the body is weak about changing the water often enough (I should do it every 6 months, but more often do it once a year.)  I label the bottles with file folder labels with the date of freshness.

And this is yet another example on my reliance on food storage.  For our earthquake-region's disaster guides, only 3 days' water is recommended.

Only one bottle has leaked in all of these years.

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Sat, Apr 21 2007 9:25 PM In reply to

• helen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Posts 176

Re: Re: How to save water?

thanks for the info about the brick - and the plastic bottle alternative. Great idea.

I'm thinking about getting a small portable tank put on one of the downspouts.

On another forum or blog somewhere, I saw a brilliant method someone used for catching rainwater while they saved for a tank. An old bathtub, with the downspout going into one end of it. They put a length of pipe through the plughole up to near the top of the bath, positioned over the drain in the ground, so that when it got to overflow level, it would go down the pipe and into the drain. 

• Sun, Apr 22 2007 9:48 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

We have to turn off the water while showering, Pat. These trailers are made with small water tanks and small water heaters and they conserve.

One thing I want to take more advantage of is rain water. We don't have the real drought issue here but why waste? Over the years I have used different types of containers to catch rainwater for pet water, plants and other uses.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 6 (55 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us