Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Savings / Checking Account

Last post Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:44 PM by LifeofRiley. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 28 2010 8:12 AM

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Savings / Checking Account

How old were you when you got your first checking or savings account? I was 12 and opened up an account for savings with $5. I don't recall what inspired me to take that action because we were poor. I believe a relative gave me the money and told me to put it in the bank. I recall feeling proud and doing something my friends were not doing.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Mon, Jun 28 2010 8:31 AM In reply to

Re: Savings / Checking Account

I was either 8 or 9 when I got my savings account. My dad helped me roll enough coins (25 dollars was the amount I needed to open an account) and took me up to the bank to open it. I was 16 or 17 when I opened my checking account. My mom said she thought I needed to have a checking account after I got my part time job so I could learn how to take care of my money and balance my account. I also got a credit card, with her, around this time to build my credit. I had to pay it off in full each month. My mom is the reason I'm halfway decent with money today.
  • Mon, Jun 28 2010 8:43 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Toni B.:
    How old were you when you got your first checking or savings account?

I was a child when I got my first savings account, maybe around ten. I don't remember it at all. I only remember emptying it and having the cash to buy a small mobile home that was my first home as an adult.

I opened my first checking account jointly with my husband.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Jun 28 2010 9:53 AM In reply to

I was a child when my parents opened a savings account. I remember putting the checks from my grandparents into that account each year as well as when I was older, putting 1/2 of my babysitting money or other earned money into that account. I was able to pay for a school trip to Europe when I was 18 with my accumulated savings.

I got my checking account when I was 17. My dad and I were both on the account. I was earning more money from several part-time jobs and he also wanted me to learn how to use a checking account and balance the account as I prepared for college.

I still kept up the practice of putting 1/2 of my paycheck into savings and then the other 1/2 into checking (and taking some cash out for spending money). I'm not able to put 1/2 of my earnings into savings now, LOL, but at the time, I had very few actual expenses by living at home and not having a car.

Erika
  • Mon, Jun 28 2010 11:23 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I was an adult and out on my own before I had a savings account.  I was proud of it! I don't remember about my first checking account, though.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Jun 28 2010 11:36 AM In reply to

Mom and Dad started savings account for me... when I was a baby I think. I got my checking account when I was 15, which was a dangerous age for me (the shopaholic in me started).

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Tue, Sep 18 2012 8:50 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

The schools here have a program with a local credit union . The kids can open  a savings account at school through the credit union. They can bring in a dollar each week for it. That adds up after a while, teachs the kids to save and if they continued for all 12 years of school would be a nice account. They can bring in more than a dollar. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Tue, Sep 18 2012 9:46 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Daddy opened my saving account when I was a  baby  and I got a checking account when I was 16  it was a nice lesson to learn  my kids get saving account when they were born  DD still has the same account we started for her she had her checking account for almost a year she just doesnt write checks she love her debit card

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:21 AM In reply to

My step-dad opened a savings account for my sister and myself when we started working at the restaurant. We had to put 1/2 of our checks in there and he contributed whatever money was collected in the electric dart board game that was in the restaurant each week. My first checking account was opened when I was 18, although I was on my Mom's account after my step-dad passed away.

Riley
  • Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:46 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Gayla, DD age 21 is the same. Only uses her debit card. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us