Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Financial Tips for Young Adults

Last post 05-12-2012 9:59 PM by sissy. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-25-2010 2:52 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Financial Tips for Young Adults

I got this link in an email and found it quite interesting: 50 Important Financial Tips for Young Adults

Almost every tip is linked to an article somewhere, so you could spend awhile exploring it. I think they've done a good job of rounding up the basics and beyond.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 06-25-2010 3:16 PM In reply to

Re: Financial Tips for Young Adults

Interesting list but I thought of a few more. There should have been a section about finances and social lives. For young people (especially singles) a social life is a high priority and keeping up with that costs money. Its also about choosing friends who will share the same financial goals. Both my sons have horror stories about having one at least one friend who is either financially irresponsible or a mooch. Those kind of friends are high maintenance and drag everyone else down. People forget there are emotional ties and triggers when it comes to spending money and managing finances.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 07-30-2010 2:35 PM In reply to

Those tips seem to work for people of any age who want to learn how to spend money wisely. I think that, ideally, someone would start to learn these things in high school, before the stakes are higher.

• 09-30-2010 3:08 PM In reply to

Re: Financial Tips for Young Adults To Save Money

One of the biggest hurdles in saving money is peer group pressure. I know it's often all too easy to succumb to peer group pressure when you are doing things with your friends, and waste your money through impulse spending. I have the same problem before I stumbled in this website that helped me change  my outlook on the importance of saving my hard-earned money.

http://www.moneyskillsforlife.com
  • 05-04-2012 3:02 PM In reply to

I would suggest attending a community college for a year or two and then transferring out (if that's your choice) to a four year. Most colleges accept ALL of your credits and you could potentially save yourself +$25K or more. Of course, college isn't the route for everyone - but always be aware before you take out any student loans.

T.J.
  • 05-12-2012 9:59 PM In reply to

A dollar earned today is worthless tomorrow so get six months saving in this year not next year.

chrissanne
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us