Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

canning ?

Last post 06-25-2010 2:44 PM by Karen K. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-23-2010 4:00 PM

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

canning ?

It's still early here to start much canning but I'd still love to know everyone's favorite canning and preserving recipes! We always grow a huge garden and try to put up as much food as possible for the winter. And it's always fun to try new recipes! So what are your favorite recipes?

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 06-23-2010 4:20 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Re: canning ?

I'm looking forward to canning zucchini and onions in tomato sauce again. I did it year before last and it was really good, but last year my tomatoes didn't do well enough to can many of them, so I just made sauce.

You just chunk zucchini and chop onions, then cover with tomato sauce and process in a pressure cooker. I can't find the recipe I used right now and it's not recommended that you can zucchini alone, but it does well with the sauce added.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 06-23-2010 4:25 PM In reply to

I slice & quarter our zucchini & mix it with sliced & quartered yellow crookneck squash, & bottle it in tomato sauce in the pressure canner. To use it, I pour 2 pints over 4 chicken breasts or pork steaks in a baking dish, add dehydrated onions& sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.  Bakes in about an hour.  Really good & easy,  Serve with rice.

• 06-23-2010 7:34 PM In reply to

This is our first year with a garden and only my second year canning anything. We have 21 jars (pints and quarts mixed) of dill pickles. I use the Mrs. Wage's dill mix from Walmart. I canned some of those and corn today. Just corn and a lil salt. I am finally able to pull a tomato! I am excited to have sauce, but only if I don't eat them all first as they are the types I can eat!!

Lynn

• 06-23-2010 8:21 PM In reply to

One of our favorites is canned raspberry juice.

One cup of raspberries, 3/4 of cup of sugar.(could be more or less) Put in clean, hot quart jar, fill with boiling water,  boiling water bath for , I think 10 minutes. Let sit on the shelf for a month or more. Juice will get stronger. You can do this with grapes too.

Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 06-23-2010 8:23 PM In reply to

babs:
    canned raspberry juice

Yummy!!  Smile Will have to see if my dear sis/bil will do this...

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 06-23-2010 9:11 PM In reply to

going to try stewed tomatoes and the tomatoe sauce just those 2 no paste and going to do alot of fruit and vegitables my mom is telling me its to expensive who care about that what Im worried about is whats in the canning processe from the store at least if I do it I know whats in it the only things I don't do is meats and soups cindy is doing jerky again she is going to teach my middle sister to do venasen this yeaar her boyfriends hunts cindy hates it when her sisters boyfriend hunts killing the deer she is a sucker along with me so cindy is babysitting and going to show them the brfor the jerky the rest they will do in the fall for hunting.

chrissanne
  • 06-24-2010 10:47 AM In reply to

I don't can..maybe someday!  But I read this great blog from a Mennonite gal who does and she has all sorts of great suggestions on what/how to can and recipes. If you click on the "preserving" tab at the top of her page, you'll find all her posts on the subject condensed in one area, enjoy!

http://thyhandhathprovided.blogspot.com/

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • 06-24-2010 3:01 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

so far I have done strawberry jam  and Blueberry Jam  I made jelly out of both  I have put down several jars of picked watermelon rind and some picked vegetables  ..  

I teaching a canning class soon  and I taking the girls to a pressure canning class each of them can water bath  but they dont Pressure can my Sils and I do so we are going to all take the course and its a hands on class and I think the girls will enjoy it .  

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 06-25-2010 4:31 AM In reply to

Yesterday I made 13 half pints and 2 full pints of salsa. I ran out of half pint jars so had to use full pints. I gave one to the neighbor. I also made 8 pints of spaghetti sauce.

A local farm has free recipes and I got them from there and was VERY happy to find the sauce tastes just like what I do to a can to doctor it up and it was all fresh! They also have "1st" tomatoes for 1.50/#, $1 for "2nds", and 50 cent per # for "3rds". These are the ones that are really ripe and perfect for canning! I think I only have about $15 in all of it because I did have to buy some tomato paste for the recipes. But considering how much this stuff is at the store, I am still saving a bundle, and helping a sweet family.

My tomatoes are starting to turn, and I used a few of mine in the sauce. I did not mind buying from the farm as I am eating mine as fast as they come off the vine! I am so happy to have found a couple varieties that I can eat without having a reaction. I am growing yellow jubilee, black krim and black russian. the regular red ones irritate my stomach. With these I only break out a little, lol!

I think the best part for me was looking at the recipe and when it called for 4 hot peppers, being able to go to the garden and hand pick them, much like they did in Mexico when I went to school there. I also used the last of the red and green bells from the freezer, while waiting for the greenand yellow bells to grow. I will have to buy some red bells but that's ok, I will just help support another farmer!

I may do another round of sauce, we shall see!

Lynn

Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us