Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What Frivolous things have you spent money on lately.....

Last post Wed, Jul 7 2010 7:18 AM by shelliajean2. 46 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 1 2010 8:10 AM In reply to

Re: What Frivolous things have you spent money on lately.....

Last week ds#1 had to do a clean install on the computer and the only word processing programs that I had were the windows office sample that ran out after 7 days and the microsoft words works program. Neither program talks to the other so the work I did in office which included 9 resumes and 2 cover letters couldn't be opened in words works. I could either take my flash drive elsewhere and try to open them in office then convert them to word or I could just bite the bullet and buy my own version of office. I found it at staples where they only had office 2010 the 1 license version was $119, the 3 license version was $149. I went with the 3 incase 1) dd or ds#1 needed them or 2) I get a lap top and want to install it in that. I was still a little on the frugal side, I had some staples rewards which took $6 off.

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Thu, Jul 1 2010 8:13 AM In reply to

Normally I try to keep my frivolous spending to a minimum, but yesterday I gave in to a completly frivolous, unbudgeted, girly girl thing.  I spent $4 on toe nail accents.  You know, those little heart, flower, butterfly, rinestone stickers that you apply to your finger/toe nails.   A couple weeks ago I commented on how nice a friends pedicure looked with the nail art on it.  She told me she did it herself and I thought I have GOT to have some of those stickers.  LOL!  I always do my own pedicures and saw the nail art stickers when I was looking at nail polish (which I really don't need to buy any of, have tons already) at wally world. So now I have some and I'm going to be giving myself a nice pedicure later today.  They should last a while since I can usually go about 4 weeks between pedicures and I bought 2 packs of the stickers.  I will probably only use them during the summer since I wear sandels alot. 

OK who am I kidding here?!?  I just wanted them because they look so stinkin cute! LOL!  I guess I'll always be a girly girl no matter how old I get.

Shellia

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Thu, Jul 1 2010 7:46 PM In reply to

Well, my most recent was a couple of different vacations.  Local, but not cheap!  So I have to figure out a way to be as frugal as I can be on both vacations to make up for it, and be REALLY EXTRA good for a long time!

But omGosh, I cannot wait for either one!

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Tue, Jul 6 2010 11:43 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

nanagain....there is open office...just google it and it is free and works with ms office stuff.   

spend more money on games but also a bird bath shaped fountain..cute for $15.  wanted a fountain and cheaper then the hundred$$$ plus ones I had been looking at.  plus more books from value village...cheap cus of seniors day with my mom...her fault really lol she wanted me to go.

though there was a kit ..build a bear new that I got her to buy for a couple of dollars for dd birthday or xmas.  she wanted to go to build a bear..not going to happen!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Jul 7 2010 2:13 AM In reply to

Spent too much money at Bath & Body Works, but I did manage to get gifts for MIL, my mom, sister, BFF, 3 teachers (antibacterial soaps), and of course, myself!! Got some Christmas shopping done, which was nice!! But still spent too much!!

~*~Angie~*~

• Wed, Jul 7 2010 3:59 AM In reply to

• lynn
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 19 2008
    • NC
    • Posts 267

shelliajean2:

Normally I try to keep my frivolous spending to a minimum, but yesterday I gave in to a completly frivolous, unbudgeted, girly girl thing.  I spent $4 on toe nail accents.  You know, those little heart, flower, butterfly, rinestone stickers that you apply to your finger/toe nails.   A couple weeks ago I commented on how nice a friends pedicure looked with the nail art on it.  She told me she did it herself and I thought I have GOT to have some of those stickers.  LOL!  I always do my own pedicures and saw the nail art stickers when I was looking at nail polish (which I really don't need to buy any of, have tons already) at wally world. So now I have some and I'm going to be giving myself a nice pedicure later today.  They should last a while since I can usually go about 4 weeks between pedicures and I bought 2 packs of the stickers.  I will probably only use them during the summer since I wear sandels alot. 

My frivolous thing was to have my toenails painted ! I had never had my toenails done ( I had done them myself) , my daughter had them done for Mothers day and I loved it , cute little flowers on my big toe Shellia lol.  Well I liked it so well I decided to have them done for the 4th of July as I have a red white and blue pair of filpflops I was goiing to wear . Well I did and they are cute BUT they were done by a different lady who cut my toenails to the quick , one of my toes is VERY sore and I am keeping a watch on it to make sure it doesn`t get inffected ! Sooooo $13.00 wasted !

I had never heard of the little stickers ...but will be checking them out for sure ...never too old to wanna be girly ! Smile

Have a Blessed Day ya`ll !          Lynn

• Wed, Jul 7 2010 7:18 AM In reply to

lynn:
    I had never heard of the little stickers ...but will be checking them out for sure ...never too old to wanna be girly

Lynn you are so right about never being too old to be girly! 

I gave my self a pedicure last week and used red polish and applied blue flowers with some white swirls.  They are soooooo cute!  Glad I found the stickers because there is no way I'm gonna let someone I don't know touch my feet!  Guess that's the main reason I've never had a pedicure done professionally.  I'm "funny" about my feet. LOL!  

Shellia

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
Page 5 of 5 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us